what would YOU choose.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jai

Reaction score
Devin thomas itk 240mm gyuto
pierre rodrigue midtech 240mm gyuto
masamoto ks 240mm gyuto

based on what youve read,seen and/or used. just personal opinion price doesent matter even though they are all simular priced

DT. I like the profile the best, based on having a DT ITK and just seeing images of the other 2.

Depends what you're after. I'd suspect the Rodrigue is thinner and more laser-ish than the DT. I'd get one of those over the KS definitely. I'd probably go with the Rodrigue

DT if you find one that you like the profile. Great cutters imo.

I'll choose DT, depend on what kind of gyuto you like.....pierre rodrigue midtech & KS are Lightweight gyuto. I prefer little weight on my all-around gyuto. although I like all three gyuto's profile!!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. KFed is doing a comparison of the mid-techs, so you could wait and see what he says. I have a ks on the way but I definitely want to have a DT and Pierre at some point in my life.

The rodrigue is on my list, but I am not a big fan of lazers so I would go the DT first, Rodrigue second and the KS tenth.

The rodrigue is on my list, but I am not a big fan of lazers so I would go the DT first, Rodrigue second and the KS tenth.

Ha! Almost snorted iced tea when I read that!

FWIW, I'd pick DT based solely on hearsay, although ill have some first hand experience in a week or so to add.

i only added the ks because it has the same price point as a rodrigue midtech

I have a Pierre custom and a Devin custom, 240 gyutos. Hell I'll take a KS, I hear they are great knives, what you guys laughing at? My buddy at work loves his ks suji, I really want to try a KS gyuto still. :laugh: In all honesty it depends what you want, but my vote is the DT itk. A friend has one in AEB-L at work, it's a great knife, good all arounder, seems the Pierre mid tech is a little slender, more of a detail work gyuto, we will have to wait and see how the new Pierre is in that review I guess. Devin seems to do a good job of that one knife to do it all, if your into that sort of thing :rofl2:

After using DT and Masamoto the Masamoto is way ahead.
Way way way

After using DT and Masamoto the Masamoto is way ahead.
Way way way

Mike, is this an off the shelf KS or one that you have tuned up? I ask because it sounds as if many Masamoto's seem to need some work done when new and you have been known for doing this type of work. :knife:

Cheers

Just sharpened, as it was not my blade.

Same with DT ITK 24 ;)

DT for steel selection and HT alone. Plus, these are all in-house made knives, with custom heat treatment, Devin doing all grinding and final handle shaping and John (Devin's son) probably doing heat treating, under Devin's watchful eye.

I am not going to go into details, but heat treatment steps, sequence and timing,are extremely important, and no commercial heat treatment can match that for a simple reason that they heat treat bigger batches and require more time to move from one step in HT process to another. And that could be a difference in a wire edge or no-wire edge on a blade in certain steels. This is just an example to illustrate the benefit of a small scale custom heat treatment.

M

I was under the impression when Devin started the ITK, he wanted to get somebody to do the heat treating, but if I remember right his standards were not met, and he has done them all himself. I am sure somebody knows the real story and can shed some light.

Masamoto KS. It's my favorite knife, for a variety of reasons.

I've never tried a Pierre knife but I'd prep with the DT and work the line with KS. Two different jobs that each knife is better suited for.

I don't find the KS to be laser'ish, especially compared to the likes of a Konosuke. I like the sleek and slender profile. It has much more pronounced grind than a typical laser. One of my favs.

I would factor in that you get a nicer handle with the midtechs, and a rehandled KS would put you in another pricepoint...

Can't go wrong with the Masamoto KS...or any other Masamoto for that matter

I would factor in that you get a nicer handle with the midtechs, and a rehandled KS would put you in another pricepoint...
I got this for my KS from Jon and the total cost of the knife is still under $400.
20130210_134323_zpse3b69ca1.jpg

I was fortunate enough, thanks to WildBoar, to get a chance to use a DT ITK for a week. I agree with several of you who've commented that the DT is a very good "do it all" gyuto. Stiff and heavy enough that you never feel the need to baby it. Thin and pointy enough at the tip to make detailed cuts and easily brunoise shallots and garlic. A well done grind that glides through most things easier than you'd think just by looking at the thickness of the blade. The spine is well rounded and comfortable and the handle is simple, but nicely made and cleanly fitted to the blade without a blob of epoxy or any gaps.
For my taste, the heel is just a little too flat, but that could be easily fixed on the stones. I didn't sharpen it since its not my knife, but it responded pretty well to a strop.
I'd say if you're looking for one nice gyuto that can handle any job, and stand up to a little abuse if needed, you would be very happy if you could find a DT ITK for sale.
Big thanks to WildBoar for the generous loaner, and for letting me ogle the rest of his collection.

Back