Quantcast
vintage sabatier elephant T.I. 4 star versus modern sabatier elephant 4 star T.I.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vintage sabatier elephant T.I. 4 star versus modern sabatier elephant 4 star T.I.

vintage sabatier elephant T.I. 4 star versus modern sabatier elephant 4 star T.I.

has anybody here compared a new sabatier carbon to the old vintage ones? some of the old beat up ones sell for almost as much as a brand new one like the ones sold at the best things...just curious if theyre on par performance wise and if the steel is equally good in the new ones.

No I have not but I was more than happy paying new prices for the old stuff.

i certainly like vintage sabs, dont get me wrong. just curious about the performance difference.

I just hoped onto vintage Sabatier wagon this very week. Am loving to use the two NOS K-Sabatier chef and petty with wooden handle at the moment.

have had this one less than a week. Out of the box , it was by far the Dullest knife I have ever purchased! I have had it to the stones for 2, 30 min sessions
    before giving up out of frustration. I'm estimating it will be 2 or 3 more bouts to get it as sharp as my 25+ yr. old Mundials. don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful Knife . but they must have honed it on a stick of butter before shipping. { shown W/ 270 gesshin for size comparison }

did you purchase them from the k sab site? the vintage carbon or the new carbon? whats NOS?

NOS is new old stuff; and has two possible meanings. 1. The item has never been used but was made a while ago. or 2. The item has just been made as a copy of an old item. The second is often used with vintage cars, there are companies making new gaskets, window seals etc. copying the old stuff.

I've got K-Sabs as New Old Stock from chef.com.au. For vintage carbon, they seem to have quite a few left of: slicer 8", 12", chef 9", 10", and ham slicer 10".

Their oversea shipping charge does not look too bad. http://www.chef.com.au/help/ quotes $25 plus a warning.

I like the edge the older ones take compared to the new one I tried. Also I've found that the older they are the more reactive and they take a great patina. The newer one for me just looked grey in places while the older ones have been purple and blue.

My nogent seems to be a bit harder than the newer K-Sabs in my limited experience. It also gets a very colorful patina.

one man gathers what another man spills...

+ Reply to Thread