Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Active noise cancelling headphones for the workshop (grinder)?

Active noise cancelling headphones for the workshop (grinder)?

Hi,

I would like to ask whether someone around here has experience with using ACN headphones when using power tools like grinder or disc sander (I have an industrial vacuum cleaner running in the background when grinding) . I would like to bring some music down to the workshop and at the same time suppress the noise.

I am thinking to buy something along the lines like AKG N60NC, Bose QC25 (or even QC35, though those are a bit pricey) or ATH-ANC70 or similar.

Thanks

I've used them (Bose QC3 IIRC- they are on ear) with a pretty loud vacuum cleaner and on the tractor. Certainly make a big difference but don't eliminare all noise. I'd go for an over ear one next time. I think the QC25s got a pretty good rap last time I checked (about a year ago).
    "My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my knives for what I told her they are worth"

For this use (and depending on the noise level of your vacuum), I'd consider skipping the consumer brands and go for real hearing protection from 3M / Peltor or something similar with bluetooth built in.

The "Peltor WS Alert XP" is comparable to the Bose stuff pricewise in my neck of the woods, and much more suited for really killing noise. But for some reason, this exact model seem more expensive on Amazon.de than here in Sweden. Strange.

"Peltor 3M WS SportTac" is a bit lighter and cheaper.
    The church is near but the road is icy. The pub is far but I will walk carefully.

If you do decide to go with the consumer brands, The Bose QC over ears are the best in the business, best noise cancelation technology, super comfy and good sound quality. One of my best friends used to be rep for Bose here. He swears by the QC headphones still to this day. For further info just check the wirecutter reviews.

One option could also be custom molded earplugs with speakers in them. They'll isolate noise the best and fit is guaranteed.

Or just go with regular noise isolation in ear headphones. Wirecutter could be your friend trying to find something fitting.

I use the Bose QuietComfort 20 in ear headphones for day to day use, like music in the office and podcasting when walking. Sounds pretty good (although a little bass heavy for classical music or quiet jazz in my ears), and they are way better on cancelling noise than the Audio Technica ATH-ANC33iS that I used before. For workshop use I would opt for the Peltors above.

Then I'm a bit sensitive to noise, after extensive ear abuse in my youth (rock music).
    The church is near but the road is icy. The pub is far but I will walk carefully.

Administrator
    I use the Bose over ear for plane rides and quiet listening. For that application there great.

But they've not got the noise suppression for industrial applications (military aircraft) and are not robust for it.
    Older and wider..

for what its worth, i use CIEM's to block sound and listen to music... they work pretty damn well. I can suggest some brands i like if you're interested.

Those are some great answers, thanks. I will check out the wirecutter webpage.

Jon, that would be great, I am curios about the CIEM option.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    Those are some great answers, thanks. I will check out the wirecutter webpage.

Jon, that would be great, I am curious about the CIEM option.
    check these out: https://thecustomart.com/music-one/

just be aware that these can get really crazy really fast... I have a few different ones now.s

But because they are molded to your ear, they block sound very effectively and sound great with music, so it's a win-win in my book.

*these are the ones i really want, but cant afford right now: http://www.spiralear.com/en/products...ate/index.html

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/mk5.html

the ER4 series sound phenominal, but when you have all that noise going around what's the point? youre not going to notice the difference, especially not while working.