Quantcast
How acute on a Ginga
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How acute on a Ginga

How acute on a Ginga

Loving my Ginga gyuto so far, but I'm having an issue I haven't had with the few other knives I've sharpened. I took it to 12 degrees on an EP and it was extremely sharp, but after two meals it had dulled noticeably, even had trouble getting through the skin on a soft tomato. I use a plastic cutting board that has treated my Shuns pretty well for years until I discovered the wider world of J knives. Anyway what are you guys taking these angles down to on the Ginga? I don't think I've gone less than 14-15 on my on any other knife I own, so maybe I'm just too low? Gonna try a 15 microbevel on one side today if I get the chance. Under a scope there isn't really any chipping, just a general unevenness along the edge. I'm a novice judging this, but it also appears to have a bright line along the edge - bright because it is lit up by the LED on the scope. Is this a rolled edge?
    ~Brandon

I'd say it sounds like burr or wire edge I use to sharpen my ginga petty at like 8 degrees and it soul hold it for a long time!

Here is my method on the EP. Start with either 1k shapton GS or 2k chosera. Raise a burr then end with some pull strokes, then deburr on cork. Move to 6k Shapton GS and basically same thing, with maybe more pull strokes at the end before the deburr.
    ~Brandon

Sounds like a wire edge; from what I understand edge-pros make them fairly often.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

can always deburr in between stones on something like cork or a strop....

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    ya just strop on stone or use cork or wood if you have it just pull it through and itll be gone. I had an issue a while back on a knife where i thought i had chipping going on it was just burr left over. If we dont take care to deburr weird things can happen haha

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    As I said I end each stone with some pull strokes, so basically stropping, then through cork, then move on to a new stone.
    ~Brandon

what ginga do you have? how long have you had it? is it carbon or stainless? sometimes if a knife feels razor sharp by touch but isnt performing too great its secondary bevel is in need of thinning. stainless gingas should hold up much much longer than what your describing. carbon too, unless youve used it on a bunch of acidic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
    Under a scope there isn't really any chipping, just a general unevenness along the edge. I'm a novice judging this, but it also appears to have a bright line along the edge - bright because it is lit up by the LED on the scope. Is this a rolled edge?
    As stated, it sounds like a wire edge, and yes it's prolly rolled. Applying a micro bevel (try 40*) should help to get rid of the burr. Check out Broida's video on microbevels at YouTube for more info.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

-Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***