Quantcast
Help with Stainless Steel Cooking - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with Stainless Steel Cooking

Nonsense! How much moisture could possibly be left on the surface of a dry metal pan heated to 350+ degrees?
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    MadMel, isn't olive pomace the last bit of oil extracted from the crushed olive by using solvents?

I was told to use regular olive oil if taste was an issue while cooking, otherwise use canola or grape seed oils which have higher smoking temps.

Check this out re: cooking a steak:
    http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?...age__hl__steak
    Yes it is the lower quality olive oil but still, if you are heating it, flavour goes out the window. However, no matter how it's extracted, it is still olive oil and has all that health benefits.

I would recommend searing the steak at high heat first with some oil, butter and some herbs/garlic cloves go into the pan. Heat is lowered till the butter is just slightly foaming like you get when you pour some carbonated drinks. Keep adjusting the temperature to maintain that level of foaming of the butter. No large bubbles, just nice small foam. Also, tilt the pan and continuously bast the piece of steak instead of just letting it sit. The link by mano show it in pictures. Thats what I do in the kitchen anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    I have been using SS All Clad sauce pans for years and loved them. I naturally thought they would make good for a fry pan as well as, I could not have been more wrong. I am not an amature cook, but I can't cook with the SS All Clad fry pan worth a darn. After spending lots of money on it, it now sits collecting dust. Nothing can replace my Debuyer carbon pans for performance. To date, NOTHING sticks to them.
    I couldnt agree more, there is nothing better than a well seasoned carbon pan.

Quote Originally Posted by mhenry View Post
    I couldnt agree more, there is nothing better than a well seasoned carbon pan.
    ++1 on the deBuyer carbon pans.Nothing beats them for high temp searing.

Well, my Griswold #9 is a pretty tough competitor!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig