Quantcast
Assessing Interest in Henkels-Kramer Passaround - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Assessing Interest in Henkels-Kramer Passaround

2 peas of the same pod we are my friend. Cheers!

Off they go tomorrow. There's no arguing they're both aesthetically beautiful knives. Both take a great edges and hold it. I don't think I detected a significant difference after using them side by side for a week, but time will tell. Maybe less important for a home user like me as far as edge holding. I prefer the shape and weight of the Henkels Kramer to the Shun. I also like the treatment of the heel on the Henkel. Although larger, it is balanced, lighter and slightly better finished. The Shun handle is larger, some may say too large . I'm more than ok with large handles. I found food release a little better in the Shun.
    I've had the Shun since it was first available. I haven't experienced the microchiping some owners talk about. It looks and feels pretty much like the day I got it as a gift ( maybe a little sharper ) I like the look of the Damascus .
    The Henkel is very sexy with the brass ferrule . You do notice the pins do stick out on the handle a little.If I only had one real knife, I could be very happy with either of these, although I have a personal reference for stainless or stainless clad over carbon. But I have other knives I would reach for first in my kitchen.
    Thank you Piton for the opportunity and first shot.

can we get a pic of the Shun that's being used, as I've seen a different variation of the Shun Kramer I once onwned, most notabely in the handle.

Name:  photo(10).jpg
Views: 33
Size:  11.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy Power View Post
    can we get a pic of the Shun that's being used, as I've seen a different variation of the Shun Kramer I once onwned, most notabely in the handle.
    Attachment 14911 Unpacked it for you. Tang is exposed only on the bottom.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I got these a few days ago. An expert packing job, I might add.
    Sooooooooooooo........
    .....I'm really enjoying the Zwilling. I took both knives to work with me the 1st day to do a side by side assessment. The Shun is fine, not a bad cutter at all. However, yes all the Shun rumors are true. This thing has got more chips than a family-size bag of Lay's. I only used it on a sani-board with soft-ish veggies too.
    I'm going to try to put a micro-bevel on it to remedy the situation, but until then it's staying at home.
    I like the fit and feel of the Zwilling. Yes, the rivets do stick up a little-but it doesn't bother me. I would hope to own of these babies some day. It's as close as I'll ever come to owning a Kramer.
    I'll post a little more after some more action.
    Thanks for the passaround to everyone involved. This forum(STILL) rules!!!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Knives arrived today. Will use and report back.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

hmmm...you have a lot of toys to play with right now
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Having more than 1 pass a round show up at your door the same week is a love/hate thing. Not enough time for a thorough work out for either. But you are like a kid in a candy store too.

After typing this I realised chinacats has more than pass a rounds to work with.
    Chewie's the man.

Kramer's have shipped. Highly unusual knives, thanks for the opportunity. Both very nice, but not for me. Must say though that I never would have had a chance to try them if not for this passaround. Thing I enjoyed the most was the cut of the heel on the Zwilling. Off to K-Fed next. Thanks!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Got the knives today... Time to think of something to cook. I'm on vacation for the next 6 days so I probably won't get to use them at work but I'll figure something out.
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~