Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Assessing Interest in Henkels-Kramer Passaround

2 peas of the same pod we are my friend. Cheers!

Off they go tomorrow. There's no arguing they're both aesthetically beautiful knives. Both take a great edges and hold it. I don't think I detected a significant difference after using them side by side for a week, but time will tell. Maybe less important for a home user like me as far as edge holding. I prefer the shape and weight of the Henkels Kramer to the Shun. I also like the treatment of the heel on the Henkel. Although larger, it is balanced, lighter and slightly better finished. The Shun handle is larger, some may say too large . I'm more than ok with large handles. I found food release a little better in the Shun.
    I've had the Shun since it was first available. I haven't experienced the microchiping some owners talk about. It looks and feels pretty much like the day I got it as a gift ( maybe a little sharper ) I like the look of the Damascus .
    The Henkel is very sexy with the brass ferrule . You do notice the pins do stick out on the handle a little.If I only had one real knife, I could be very happy with either of these, although I have a personal reference for stainless or stainless clad over carbon. But I have other knives I would reach for first in my kitchen.
    Thank you Piton for the opportunity and first shot.

can we get a pic of the Shun that's being used, as I've seen a different variation of the Shun Kramer I once onwned, most notabely in the handle.

Name:  photo(10).jpg
Views: 38
Size:  11.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy Power View Post
    can we get a pic of the Shun that's being used, as I've seen a different variation of the Shun Kramer I once onwned, most notabely in the handle.
    Attachment 14911 Unpacked it for you. Tang is exposed only on the bottom.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I got these a few days ago. An expert packing job, I might add.
    Sooooooooooooo........
    .....I'm really enjoying the Zwilling. I took both knives to work with me the 1st day to do a side by side assessment. The Shun is fine, not a bad cutter at all. However, yes all the Shun rumors are true. This thing has got more chips than a family-size bag of Lay's. I only used it on a sani-board with soft-ish veggies too.
    I'm going to try to put a micro-bevel on it to remedy the situation, but until then it's staying at home.
    I like the fit and feel of the Zwilling. Yes, the rivets do stick up a little-but it doesn't bother me. I would hope to own of these babies some day. It's as close as I'll ever come to owning a Kramer.
    I'll post a little more after some more action.
    Thanks for the passaround to everyone involved. This forum(STILL) rules!!!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Knives arrived today. Will use and report back.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

hmmm...you have a lot of toys to play with right now
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Having more than 1 pass a round show up at your door the same week is a love/hate thing. Not enough time for a thorough work out for either. But you are like a kid in a candy store too.

After typing this I realised chinacats has more than pass a rounds to work with.
    Chewie's the man.

Kramer's have shipped. Highly unusual knives, thanks for the opportunity. Both very nice, but not for me. Must say though that I never would have had a chance to try them if not for this passaround. Thing I enjoyed the most was the cut of the heel on the Zwilling. Off to K-Fed next. Thanks!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Got the knives today... Time to think of something to cook. I'm on vacation for the next 6 days so I probably won't get to use them at work but I'll figure something out.
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~