Quantcast
Masamoto KS 270mm gyuto - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Masamoto KS 270mm gyuto

I'd love to get in on this as well. I'm in MD.

Last update to the list as someone has reach out to me about buying the Masamoto KS.

1. mhenry - Tejas [current location]
    2. mpukas - Colorado
    3. pleue - Oregon
    4. Crothcipt - Wyoming
    5. Zwiefel - Arkansas
    6. marc4pt0 - Maryland
    7. chinacats - North Carolina
    8. daveb - Florida
    9. Miles - Tejas
    10. wenus2 - Reno
    11. Mike9 - New York
    12. toddnmd - Maryland

Name:  Masamoto-KS_vs_Yusuke_04-16-13.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  7.5 KB

Donís Masamoto KS 270 showed up today Ė YAY!!!

Hereís a quick pic of the real deal vs the imposter.

Quick first impressions Ė the KS is gorgeous, even more so than I thought it would be. SEXY! AWESOME! Itís also nearly brand new, hasnít been abused much all. Itís long, much longer than the 240 Yusuke, slightly taller, and heavier. Obviously it will be heavier since itís taller and longer. Thickness at the spine seems about the same. I do wonder if what Koki told me is correct that the KS are forged and not ground f/ stockÖ No matterÖ the KS has less convexing than the Yusuke, itís got some but very slight. Grind seems fairly even on both sides. The D handle and blonde ferrule are very nice as well.

Itís not super sharp right now, and Iíd like to lightly touch it up. Iím planning on filming a side by side sharpening of each knife, and then some compare-o cutting. Not sure when Iíll get to do it though, maybe over the weekend. Iíll update.

Thanks again Don for you generosity Ė much appreciated!!!
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Thanks for the first impressions and side-by-side pictures. Definitely interested in your feedback!

I was waiting to hear the side by side notes. Been waiting for the KS knock off to come back around for a little while now. Contacted them a couple times also.
    Looking forward to hearing more, Mr mpukas... if that Is your Real name...

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    Looking forward to hearing more, Mr mpukas... if that Is your Real name...
    LOL Michael Pukas is my real name.

I cut a couple things for dinner last night, a just as I suspected, it cuts just like a knife.

Seriously, thought, itís awesome. One of the reasons the KSís run long is that there is a large gap between the end of the handle and the choil (not what thatís actually called Ė the emoto/neck?). Itís about ľĒ longer than on the Yusuke clone. The blade length from heel to tip also runs long. Itís much longer from the handle to tip than all of the other 270 knives. The closest in blade length is the Moritaka 270 kiri-gyuto, and the KS is still about ľĒ longer.

Right off the bat, I consider the KS and Yusuke clone to be a draw. They are as near as makes no difference the same in profile Ė the Yusuke is close, but not quite. The overall F&F is as good as one could ask for, without going to next level of some the extra-ordinary custom makers that we see here. The Yusuke has better convexing on the sides, and maybe just slightly thinner behind the edge.

As far as the edge and steel goes, Iím betting the difference in sharpness will be too close to be noticeable in kitchen cutting tasks. White #2 gets stupid sharp, we all know that. Yusukeís SS gets crazy sharp too Ė itís the only other steel I own that gets as sharp as white #2. White #2 has better edge retention, but the SS responds a little better to a quick touch up on the MAC rod and stropping.

The SS has the advantage of being non-reactive, which is a big +1 for me. Another advantage Iíve found that SS has is that because it doesnít get a patina, it has less drag when cutting. Itís a minor thing, but noticeable.

The Yusuke has an octagonal handle, the KS a D handle. Take your pick. One couldnít go wrong with either knife. I'll keep updating...
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

The red bit in the end of the handle is the coolest thing about the KS

Don't know how I missed this. Is it to late to jump on Don?
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Michael, thanks for ks vs. Yusuke review!! could you post side-by-side choil shot??
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Would love to hear more about KS vs yusuke too as i'm in the process of getting of 1 of them