Masamoto KS 270mm gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was quick on the draw and was fortunate enough to grab a Masamoto KS 270mm gyuto on BST (thanks, antbanks). Would like to offer as a passaround since there's so much talk about the Masamoto KS. Plus pitonboy's passarounds are far superior than mine, so I need to step it up.

Standard rules: min. 25 posts and in good standing, able to send the knife to the next person without reminders, priority mail with insurance for $300, keep for one week, sharpen only if required and you're comfortable doing so.

masamoto_ks_gyuto_270_1.jpg

List will be open till Monday midnight, and then I'll drop in the mail as soon as possible. Please post on the thread if you're interested.

Thanks.

-Don

Sexy knife Don. I'd be interested to be in on this. Im busy for a while, so I would go last (the homebound leg) if that's cool.

Don,

I would love to be in on this if you'll have me. Been looking forward to trying one for some time now.

Cheers!
Jim

I'd love to have a go with it too, work in a pro kitchen so I can give it a good workout and post my thoughts after.

I'd love to be in on this too, plus I can give it a side-by-side compare-showdown to the Yusuke KS-clone. Thanks for offering it up!

I'd love to be in on this too, plus I can give it a side-by-side compare-showdown to the Yusuke KS-clone. Thanks for offering it up!

that will be a interesting comparison review!!:hungry:

Thanks for all those that responded. Good news is that the Masamoto is already at mhenry, so there's no delay in the start of the passround. I was sending Mike some knives for re-handle so it was most expedient for me to send him the Masamoto KS first. After that, it goes to mpukas since he has the Yusuke Sakai KS clone and can do a side-by-side. I have a Yusuke Sakai standard in stainless extra HRC, and it's a fine knife. I'm sure a comparison would interest a lot of people.

Here's the order:
1. mhenry - Tejas [current location]
2. mpukas - Colorado
3. pleue - Oregon
4. Crothcipt - Wyoming
5. Zwiefel - Arkansas
6. chinacats - North Carolina
7. daveb - Florida
8. Miles - Tejas
9. wenus2 - Reno

@cclin - Did you want to be included in the passaround?

Don, thanks for asking!! I already owned 240mm ks:)....looking forward to read Yusuke Sakai KS clone vs. Masamoto KS review!!

I would love to get added to the pass around if possible! My sous chef is also a member here but too new to meet the criteria. Him and I could split the week and give a 2 for 1 review. Plus it would be a positive spin for the rather infuriating reason why I'm up right now- clumsily spilling an entire glass of water in/on the bed. DOH!

I would love to get added to the pass around if possible! My sous chef is also a member here but too new to meet the criteria. Him and I could split the week and give a 2 for 1 review. Plus it would be a positive spin for the rather infuriating reason why I'm up right now- clumsily spilling an entire glass of water in/on the bed. DOH!

Lmao, been there brother!

Updated!

2. mpukas - Colorado
3. pleue - Oregon
4. Crothcipt - Wyoming
5. Zwiefel - Arkansas
6. marc4pt0 - Maryland
7. chinacats - North Carolina
8. daveb - Florida
9. Miles - Tejas
10. wenus2 - Reno

Last update to the list as someone has reach out to me about buying the Masamoto KS.

2. mpukas - Colorado
3. pleue - Oregon
4. Crothcipt - Wyoming
5. Zwiefel - Arkansas
6. marc4pt0 - Maryland
7. chinacats - North Carolina
8. daveb - Florida
9. Miles - Tejas
10. wenus2 - Reno
11. Mike9 - New York
12. toddnmd - Maryland

Masamoto-KS_vs_Yusuke_04-16-13.jpg

Don’s Masamoto KS 270 showed up today – YAY!!!

Here’s a quick pic of the real deal vs the imposter.

Quick first impressions – the KS is gorgeous, even more so than I thought it would be. SEXY! AWESOME! It’s also nearly brand new, hasn’t been abused much all. It’s long, much longer than the 240 Yusuke, slightly taller, and heavier. Obviously it will be heavier since it’s taller and longer. Thickness at the spine seems about the same. I do wonder if what Koki told me is correct that the KS are forged and not ground f/ stock… No matter… the KS has less convexing than the Yusuke, it’s got some but very slight. Grind seems fairly even on both sides. The D handle and blonde ferrule are very nice as well.

It’s not super sharp right now, and I’d like to lightly touch it up. I’m planning on filming a side by side sharpening of each knife, and then some compare-o cutting. Not sure when I’ll get to do it though, maybe over the weekend. I’ll update.

Thanks again Don for you generosity – much appreciated!!!

I was waiting to hear the side by side notes. Been waiting for the KS knock off to come back around for a little while now. Contacted them a couple times also.
Looking forward to hearing more, Mr mpukas... if that Is your Real name...

Looking forward to hearing more, Mr mpukas... if that Is your Real name...

LOL Michael Pukas is my real name.

I cut a couple things for dinner last night, a just as I suspected, it cuts just like a knife.

Seriously, thought, it’s awesome. One of the reasons the KS’s run long is that there is a large gap between the end of the handle and the choil (not what that’s actually called – the emoto/neck?). It’s about ¼” longer than on the Yusuke clone. The blade length from heel to tip also runs long. It’s much longer from the handle to tip than all of the other 270 knives. The closest in blade length is the Moritaka 270 kiri-gyuto, and the KS is still about ¼” longer.

Right off the bat, I consider the KS and Yusuke clone to be a draw. They are as near as makes no difference the same in profile – the Yusuke is close, but not quite. The overall F&F is as good as one could ask for, without going to next level of some the extra-ordinary custom makers that we see here. The Yusuke has better convexing on the sides, and maybe just slightly thinner behind the edge.

As far as the edge and steel goes, I’m betting the difference in sharpness will be too close to be noticeable in kitchen cutting tasks. White #2 gets stupid sharp, we all know that. Yusuke’s SS gets crazy sharp too – it’s the only other steel I own that gets as sharp as white #2. White #2 has better edge retention, but the SS responds a little better to a quick touch up on the MAC rod and stropping.

The SS has the advantage of being non-reactive, which is a big +1 for me. Another advantage I’ve found that SS has is that because it doesn’t get a patina, it has less drag when cutting. It’s a minor thing, but noticeable.

The Yusuke has an octagonal handle, the KS a D handle. Take your pick. One couldn’t go wrong with either knife. I'll keep updating...

Don't know how I missed this. Is it to late to jump on Don?

Michael, thanks for ks vs. Yusuke review!! could you post side-by-side choil shot??

Would love to hear more about KS vs yusuke too as i'm in the process of getting of 1 of them :D

Latest posts

Back