Ingoglia 280mm Gyuto-Hiki Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
Based on some interest expressed in Pitonboy's recent thread, I'd like to offer up my Mario 280mm Gyuto-Hiki for a passaround. All of the usual rules apply:

Be a regular poster here
take care of proper packaging + shipping to the next person
insure the shipping for the value of the knife ($400)
sharpen only if needed, and are comfortable with it on this knife
pass on to the next person after 1 week
(please preserve the profile as it's my favorite :nunchucks:)
Keep everyone up-to-date in this thread, please

As this is my first time to do this and I'm nervous about sending one of my prized toys around the country :sad0:, I'm going to have a couple of additional rules:

conus only (sorry my Canadian/Island friends)
limiting to 10 people, who will be chosen by an undisclosed process :)

Review/photos appreciated, but not required.

PM with interest + shipping deets.

Oops, should have mentioned:

I'll keep this open until Friday (2013-03-29). Then I'll finalize + publish the list.

I would love to be included, pm sent.

I'm likely in. I'd love to try one before I buy one. Hopefully another Canadian or two pop up :D

I would really like to try this one Zweifel!

I don't have PM access, but if I can be a part of it my email is d.the.nguyen at gmail.com

id love to try it but i already have one haha but seriously more people should get in on this its a great knife!

Lefty, you and I are out. It's conus only. That's too bad but I totally appreciate the situation. Very generous for a passaround.

Still have a few slots open if anyone is interested....

I'm excited to say the least. When we gonna get this puppy rolllin' lol

Gentlepersons,

I have the final list ready. Apologies to those not on the list, I've basically stuck with the folks that I know the best from the forums. I love the "Flat Stanley" concept proposed by K-Fed...not a requirement to participate, but it would be appreciated, along with any observations from your experience. You are welcome to sharpen it if needed, please preserve the profile though.

For those not familiar with Flat Stanley:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Stanley#The_Flat_Stanley_Project

Passaround list/Order:

KnyfeKnerd
Chinacats
JMAdams13
sachem allison: No Address
EdipisReks
Crothcipt
CCLin
DaveB: No Address

I'm a bit under the weather now, but I'll try to get this started ASAP once I receive addresses for Son + Dave.

Slightly revised list after I got the last addresses:

DaveB
KnyfeKnerd
Chinacats
JMAdams13
sachem allison
EdipisReks
Crothcipt
CCLin

This is going in the post to DaveB tomorrow!

Me, too. I live a little way from cclin, if that makes a difference. Cool passaround, regardless. :thumbsup:

OK, a couple of last minute changes to get TK59 and Brainsausage in:

DaveB
KnyfeKnerd
Chinacats
JMAdams13
sachem allison
Brainsausage
EdipisReks
Crothcipt
CCLin
TK59

That will round out the 10.

:plus1:

;) DaveB still has it, I think....prob wont hear from him until he ships it.

Z, The Mario wanted to stay for the weekend BBQ. It ships 2morrow.

2013-04-21 17.26.41.jpg

2013-04-21 17.38.58.jpg

2013-04-21 17.32.50.jpg

I got to compare it to a new Shig and Ben's passaround Kato gyutos for prep type work. Initially it was a little awkward but I quickly got used to the shorter height and it worked well for me. In chopping and dicing tasks where I thought the Shig and Kato were very good the Mario was good - very good. It did not have the heft of the traditional gyuto and did not "fall through" food as readily. It shined when slicing scallions very thin. It was easy to control the tip for precise work.

View attachment 14786

For slicing tasks I compared it to my 270 Shig sujiki and it compared quite well. Slices were clean and precise and the knife was easy to control. Slight nod to the Shig here.

2013-04-21 17.36.48.jpg

2013-04-21 17.29.29.jpg

As a home cook I don't have the space or knife constraints that professionals working in a commercial kitchen have. If I did, this is a knife that could easily be the "one" knife to do everything.

YMMV.

Regards - and thanks for the generous passaround,

Dave

Is that a smoked belly roll? Great looking pics. Nice write-up.

Yes, the Ignolio gyutohiki is the one knife to rule them all.
Instead of a little-of-this little-of-that, it's a lot-of-this lot-of-that...
Didn't quite best a Kato at chopping or a Shig at slicing, what a slouch!

Thanks for the pics + write-up Dave! Glad you two wanted a little more "alone time" before shipping it off :)

Back