Quantcast
What is it about carbon steel??? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is it about carbon steel???

+ 1 to carbon blades.

I will not comment on how easy are to sharpen and how acute edge can get as I am not pro on sharpening and definitely there are some very good stainless steels. What I really love with carbon knives is the character they are having when reacting with food, every blade has a different patina really enjoyable.

The only non carbon knives I currently use are my two petties and the parers (well I don't use them at all, only my gf does). I found handy not to worry about them getting rusted while I am cooking, plus I use them as fruits knives.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    Wait a minute. Haven't you waxed poetically about your Suisin Inbox Honyaki?

Jay
    I have. That's hands down my fave stainless knife. It has it's own unique quality. It doesn't quite have the soulfulness of carbon, but it is a knife with which I have a strong connection. Were I to shed all my stainless knives, the HD and the Suisin IH would be the two I'd keep.

For me it's the conversation I have with a knife. Carbon teaches me more with a much clearer voice.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbernst View Post
    really want to stick with the was. Too bad there are almost no wa sujis in the sub $200 range! I hate to say it, but the pictures on the Gesshin Urakus do not make me want to buy that.
    The Yoshihiros are very good knives.

So are the ones on ebay. Whats wrong with the looks?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbernst View Post
    Would everyone here recommend carbon steel for a suji? I've been looking at the Sakai Yusuke, Ginga (too pricey), and some yo-s (Misono Swedish, Fuji, Suisin HC, etc.) But I really want to stick with the was. Too bad there are almost no wa sujis in the sub $200 range! I hate to say it, but the pictures on the Gesshin Urakus do not make me want to buy that.
    Sakai Yusuke wa-suji 270-300mm was sub 200USD once, a long time ago though.

If you have been looking at ginga: have a look at Ashi Hamono Ginga wa suji carbon here; 270mm is still sub-200. There is a typo on the page, but this page is white #2 version, stainless version is a little bit more expensive, note W0008R1 vs W0007R1 and description differences.