Advice Please - Should I stop cutting oversized blocks?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I was hoping that those of you who use stabilized wood handle material could help me decide what to do.
Back when I first started supplying handle material I asked what sizes knife makers preferred for handle blocks.
There were a large number of makers who requested blocks be cut around 6" long, 2" or more wider and at least 1&1/4" thick.
The standard size with most knife making supplies places is 5" long by 1&1/2" wide by 1" thick.

The reason I am asking if I should continue cutting over sized blocks is because while sales are increasing, over sized pieces are selling a lot slower than everything else.
Since I am just a one man operation I need to focus my efforts toward where they can be the most productive.
So I am curious.

Is a block being large enough for 2 matching handles desirable?
Does a block being larger than you need prevent you from buying a piece that you otherwise like?
Should I continue cutting a portion of the blocks over sized?.
Is there a specific size that you would suggest?
I know that there is no "One size fits all" for handle material. Just trying to find out what I should be using as a baseline.

Any advice and answers to these questions are greatly appreciated.
Maybe this way I can do a little bit better providing what you guys want.

I would say cut as close to a good size block for a handle (1.5"x5x1.125, factor some thickness for squaring) as possible. Unless you can get 2 handles out of an oversize block, extra wood is a waste.

M

I agree! haha I have only made a few handles and found that i like the pieces to be 1 1/2" squared and anything ~ 5" long or longer is great! If its longer than 5" I can make a ferule piece for another handle possibly or a spacer haha but anything wider just becomes dust.... :thumbsup:

I'm speaking from a western handle maker's perspective, wa handles might be different but I doubt it, I say 5.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 is about perfect. I can't say that I don't appreciate a 6"+ block as the extra length makes good ferrule material but it's not a necessity and even sometimes not used at all. The extra width and height is basically a waste for me though.

For scale advise (and yeah I realize you didn;t ask for it) then my opinion is 1/2" thick is what I'd like to see. I won't touch scales at the standard 3/8" thickness but I think most knifemakers use 3/8" thick and are fine with that so maybe you don't want to listen to me on this one. :)

Thanks Marko, Roan and Dave for the advice.
Question for Dave;
Why the 1&1/2" thick?

Is that so you can decide which surfaces you want for the faces of the handle and trim away the rest?

Thanks Marko, Roan and Dave for the advice.
Question for Dave;
Why the 1&1/2" thick?

Is that so you can decide which surfaces you want for the faces of the handle and trim away the rest?

Yeah exactly but upon thinking about it more - just having 1.25" thick would be OK with me too. This would give me some sanding allowance after cutting the block open, leaving me with that 1/2" thick scales I'm after.

I'm riding Marks's coattails here. Good information for me too. I've had this discussion with Marko in the past, but it's good to hear other's thoughts on the subject.

I like the bigguns because a quick surgery on the bandsaw and one becomes two. Also sometimes a customer is looking for a block for a pair of knives. Maybe just do less of them if they are hanging around.

Mark, Over sized blocks are awesome if you can easily see 2 knife handles from one piece.. Thicker blocks would be more desirable for me. I like 1.5/8 X 1.5/8 X 5 This allows me to cut my scales from either face and to chose what face I want to use on a project. I can get 2 sets of scales from one block in most cases at this size. So I guess that I would rather have extra thickness over extra width.

Thanks for askin.
Randy

Latest posts

Back