Masahiro MV-H Sharpening questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I bought a Masahiro MV-H which OOB cuts like a dream, FF is great etc. I really, really like it. IT is supposed to be 80/20 assymetric

Although it isn't necessary and probably won't be for a while to sharpen this thing, curiosity got the better of me and I used the magic marker trick to measure the edge angles with my Edge Pro Pro and got roughly 14.5 on the RHS and about 6.5 on the asymmetric side. So I know how to sharpen it with my edge pro.

But my question is if I want to use my 2k DMT ceramic hone to keep it so sharp in between major Edge Pro sessions (which it probably will almost never need I suspect...).... How the heck do you do that with something this asymmetric, more precisely does anyone have any tricks they can share for maintaining a roughly 7 degree angle on a hone - 15 degrees I can wing but 7 degrees I don't seem to be able to maintain...

Or, just give up a hone and use a 3 or 4k fine stone with say something like a quarter blue taped to the knife for the 7 degree angle to keep it sharp??

TIA

RHS is the cutting side the one that is ground to about 15 degrees, by assymetric side I meant the nearly flat back side ground to about 7 degrees...

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about these 7 degree. You may put almost every angle on the left side, as it is such a small bevel. A higher value will stabilize the edge considerably without having any noticeable effect on the performance. It will recenter the edge a little and somewhat reduce steering,
I expect these right side 14 degree to be a microbevel or the final edge on a very convexed one. Once you're going to sharpen it you'll probably start at some 8 to 10 degree a few millimeters above the very edge, ending at some 10 to 12 degree.
I would deburr the left side at some 15 degree.

i have an mvh santoku and it's incredibly thin also does not respond to steeling so i reground it to 20deg left side and 15deg right side. the mvh steel is really nice and holds its edge well sharpened to that point. sure you can get it more sharp with an acuter angle but the maintenance required for that is not worth it to me.

Back