new knife jai

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jai

Reaction score
What type of knife(s) do you think you want? 240mm gyuto

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? not really replacing anything just wanting to add to my current gyutos and want a full carbonsteel blade
currently own tanaka ironwood r2 240mm gyuto, tanaka blue steel core wa handle 210mm gyuto, konosuke hd 240mm,saji gyuto 210mm western handle r2,tojiro yo deba gyuto and a few whustof chefs knives. i have a few other knives in carbon steel such as white #1, blue #2 , AS and 52100.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics-love the asthetics of my knives just looking for a nice carbon blush on a gyuto :)
Edge Quality/Retention-most of my knives have good edge retention some better than others but they get the job done
Ease of Use-i find all my knives easy to use but i guess using them countless hours a day helps with those skills
Comfort-i find all my knives comfortable to use

What grip do you use?pinch grip

What kind of cutting motion do you use?pushcut and rocking motion depending on the vegetable

Where do you store them?on a magblock or in a knife bag in sayas

Have you ever oiled a handle?yes and i frequiently oil my carbonsteel knives

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?at the moment poly but am looking at getting a boardsmith endgrain board in the near future and at work i have no choice but to use the poly boards..

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?strop and ceramic rod

Have they ever been sharpened? this is something i love doing with a passion all my knives loved and sharpened with care

What is your budget?between 350-700, 700 being my absolute maximum at the moment but would rather spend around 400-500 as it would be getting alot of time in a proffesional enviroment and accidents can happen.

What do you cook and how often? various types of food being a chef i could spend endless hours typing thousands of things down but lets just say the knife will be used to cut mass amounts of vegetable prep and used to portion meat and fish if i dont have my yanagiba or suji at work.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?wa handle in a nice vibrant wood im not to familair on wood types but something with a bit of character and uniqueness.

thanks guys i hope thats detailed enough id also like to add that i definatly want CARBONSTEEL, that is a must for this knife and im kind of looking for something light but not laser and with a nice flat type of profile.

if you have anymore questions that would help you help me choose a knife then feel free to ask.

thanks guys its much appreciated, jai

i was already thinking of doing that haha but then i had second thoughts because that would end up being around 500ish dollers and i just thought maybe i can get a better knife with a nice handle already for that amount but thanks for your input i actually already pmed him about it yesterday.

unfortunately i dont have the money to spare at this current time im just doing i guess you could say research currently i already spent 1.5k on knives in the last month... gotta hold back for awhile

Back