Sous Vide Wild goose breast sous vide ideas?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike9

Banned
Reaction score
Here are three lovely goose breasts I need to do something with as they are thawed. I had four, but made sausage with one. I'm thinking of making prosciutto with one and sous vide with the other two. I'll vac bag and marinate them over night then slow cook them with my PID controller. Question is what temp and for how long? If anyone has experience doing that I'm all ears and muchos thanxos in advance.

gooseboobie1_zps5813e5dd.jpg

BTW the sausage I made was excellent these were shot in the fall and breasted out. I do have a whole goose that was plucked but that is another project.

I was never a fan of sous vide duck or goose, Just not texturally pleasing. Also I would be careful marinating as some marinade may preserve your goose as it sits. I have had great success with the goose prosciutto over the years and it is always a hit with people. Some thing i have been doing the past few years is smoking my goose breast. Brine it in a dry cure for a day using some pink salt to keep the color and then give it a nice long smoke if possible. Another trick if smoking is to stuff it in sausage netting or wrap it in cheese cloth to keep it in a nice shape. anyway would like to know what you end up doing, hope its delicious.

I halved them and they are marinating and I'm running a water temp test on the cooker. These geese are wild and the meat is quite stiff which makes them perfect for sausage, or burger, etc. I think they will taste good and I was thinking 6hrs @ 140F then a rest.

I've done wild geese and I've done sous vide but have not done a sous vide goose. Following is conjecture.

Type of goose would be important. A specklebelly I would treat like duck. Sous vide, sear it, then serve med rare, 135ish. The more likely snow or canada are not as tasty (to me) and I would be thinking something more seasoned, a little more done and not having it stand alone. Gumbo or pulled can be a wonderful thing...

Pls post a report (with pics of course) of whatever you do.

Regards,

Dave

The only way I have made the Canadians is to halve them to remove that inner silver skin layer, marinate and then sear each side and cook medium rare / rareish. I would think to Sous Vide how Dave recommends since tastewise you have hit it with the marinade. Good luck either way.

I was never a fan of sous vide duck or goose, Just not texturally pleasing. Also I would be careful marinating as some marinade may preserve your goose as it sits. I have had great success with the goose prosciutto over the years and it is always a hit with people. Some thing i have been doing the past few years is smoking my goose breast. Brine it in a dry cure for a day using some pink salt to keep the color and then give it a nice long smoke if possible. Another trick if smoking is to stuff it in sausage netting or wrap it in cheese cloth to keep it in a nice shape. anyway would like to know what you end up doing, hope its delicious.

Don't know this person but I can tell he knows what he's talking about. Hello.

OK - I'm going to do them at 140F over night then let them rest in the ice box all day.
then I will decide what to do with them. I'm tight for time and would rather have done this on a weekend, but
Whoops there it is . . .

So I'll deal with them tomorrow or Wednesday.

Well . . . do to a miscommunication the beautiful and talented Mr's Mike9 unplugged said device because "it was blinking at me". I have no recourse but to dispose of my subject and schedule a training session with said Mrs. I can't even get mad because I didn't phrase the question a way that was simple enough to comprehend. So - all you big shot "sous" "vide" guys out there - well enjoy your laugh . . . 'cause I'm enjoying mine!!! :lol2:

Hey - it's how we learn . . . that and getting it right the first time. :headbang:

Latest posts

Back