Official Forum Bird thread?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike9

Banned
Reaction score
I see several of us have tried our hand at Galantine of bird lately. Maybe we can pool our experiences for the benefit of the general population? Every home cook should at least try this like 2 -3 times since the WoW factor is way high.

As I mentioned a duck is not a chicken and really needs a lot more knife work, but a nice parer like the Del is perfect for the job. The only other knife needed is to break the leg to remove the bone. Yes my tying skills need practice, but I'll be doing this more often.

Anyone else want to contribute?

This would be great. I've been thinking of tryin this myself. Haven't boned a bird other than squab in a while

I just watched a video of Jacques Pepin making a Galantine. He makes it look ridiculously easy.
I'd be willing to give it a try this weekend. I just need to figger out a stuffing that everbody here will like.

IMG_4652.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4650.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4116.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4113.jpg
[/IMG]
I did one with a sausage ricotta stuffing and another with a quinoa pilaf stuffing.
It's been a while....
....maybe another for Easter Sunday.

I am totally with ya but is that about general experiences or what?

I'm definitely going to have to breakdown and try this...I don't usually do "presentation" type dishes...but this would be good for the old knife skills...

also, I've got to wonder how this thread reads to those in Old Blighty <sp?>!

"boning birds"
"trussing birds"
"intoxicated birds"

all sounds very seedy...

Experience, technique whatever. It's about sharing - "The Forum Bird"

Sorry just figured out how to inbed the pics.

IMG_5864_zpsf612d8cd.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_5868_zps3022332d.jpg
[/IMG]

Just got through making my first one, no pics, sorry. Stuffing of spinach and portabellas, wilted down in a little bacon grease and white wine, blue cheese and bacon. Ohhhhh boy, was it good. Will definitely be repeating this one, and trying lots of other variations.

Just got through making my first one, no pics, sorry. Stuffing of spinach and portabellas, wilted down in a little bacon grease and white wine, blue cheese and bacon. Ohhhhh boy, was it good. Will definitely be repeating this one, and trying lots of other variations.

Clearly this never happened...

This bird is smokin!

I want to prepare a couple Pheasant Ballotine (Gallotine?) Sunday for a few folks so tried a "dry run" tonight. Jacques may not approve but smoked rather than roasting it. Stuffed w venison sausage, diced sweet potatoes and onions. Did not suck. Will use less stuffing next time.

IMAG0318.jpg

IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0322.jpg

Looks delicious Dave - yeah the amount of stuffing is important. How much knife work did those birds need as opposed to chicken?

Mike, I've not boned out the pheasants yet - they're thawing as I type. But they should be easier - even less knife work - than chicken.

When I clean them the wings are cut at 2nd joint, bird is skinned and legs either go with feathers or are removed for stock. Then bagged and tagged for the freezer.

I'll be sure to catch some pics but no promises on focus being any better...

Made my attempt at galantine today. Not as hard to de-bone the chicken as I have feared, with practice I could probably do it 5 mins or less. And it's a good excuse to whip out my Shun Fuji Honesuki, but I did use my Seki-Ryu deba for the hardcore bone scraping.
For a stuffing, my wife whipped up a fabulous cornbread-bacon stuffing, and I grated some fresh gouda over the top before closing and trussing.
Accompaniment was garlic mashed potatos (yukon gold), with a stock gravy made from the carcass. Delish.
This is an amazing dish. The family went craze for it, ate darn near the whole thing! I'll definitely make it again.

Nice work A.C., got any pics of the inside of the bird?
The cornbread/bacon stuffing sounds like a winner to me!
UMMMMMMM..............
...................stuft bird!
Me hungry

I was too busy serving up slices, then stuffing my face to snap any pics.:knife::cooking2: It wasn't like a pinwheel, just like a regular stuffed bird, but with no bones. Fabulous.
I'll try to find an online version of that recipe and post a link.

Very nice looking for your first one!

I made one a while ago that I thought I´d share. Fun and lots of knife work. Featured knives are Masamoto KS 270, Misono honesuki, Masamoto SW 165 and Moritaka 300 suji.

First the stuffing: goat cheese, basil, sundried tomatoes, grilled red pepper, grilled garlic, bread, dry sherry, olive oil, salt and pepper.

Oh, forgot about the Fuet.

The victim.

Tied up and oiled.

Then om to the Weber.

Done.

Sliced.

And served with warm cherry tomato salad with pine nuts and cream stewed Pointed headed cabbage. Suck at plating though.

Last edited:
Nice looking bird. I was thinking of making another duck galantine and smoking it on the grill with apple wood.

The last one was such a hit, I had to do another one. On the grille this time. It kind of had a crust, so I used my bread knife to cut it.

Back