Quantcast
Do You Wash Your Chicken?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Wash Your Chicken?

Do You Wash Your Chicken?

I saw this article from NPR about how it is better to not wash your chicken before handling/cooking it. What's your take?

I must admit that I have questioned this step for years but still do it. I first clear everything out of the splatter path of the water and once done, I cleanse the whole area thoroughly. I always assumed that there was something related to the packaging that I was washing off that necessitated the ridiculous step of splattering raw chicken all over the place during food prep.

Anyhow, just wondering.

k.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...-chicken-folks
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Great Article Drinky. I'm not sold on that premise however. To some extent, you could use that arguement against hand-washing? I'm not buying it and will continute to reduce the bioload of my poultry by rinsing or running through my Vacuum Tubmler.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Sponsors
    I learned to wash chicken and most meats after rooming with a med student in college. She was a little germaphobic. I admit this industry has made me a little germaphobic too.

i dont wash it but i disinfect the board afterwards.

I always get a little disgusted when I see packaged chicken pieces sitting in some questionable liquid in their plastic thingie, so I always wash my chicken. However, more importantly, I have given up buying disgusting industrially packaged chicken... Not sure if the pieces at Wholefoods have been sitting in the same kind of stuff but they clearly look better. I wish I had a local provider who raises his own fowl, though.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I always get a little disgusted when I see packaged chicken pieces sitting in some questionable liquid in their plastic thingie, so I always wash my chicken. However, more importantly, I have given up buying disgusting industrially packaged chicken... Not sure if the pieces at Wholefoods have been sitting in the same kind of stuff but they clearly look better. I wish I had a local provider who raises his own fowl, though.

Stefan
    +1
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I buy all my meat from a local organic farm. No concentrated feed lots, no animals confined to living in their own filth, no unskilled labor processing the meat. Problem solved.

Yes. For multiple reasons.

I just pat it very dry....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Depends on the chicken. I'm not worried about germs on the chicken as proper cooking will kill them all anyway.
    For me, it's about the level of slime and the presence of blood clots or bits of organ or other gunk. A really wet, slimey chicken is much harder to handle, not to mention break down or de-bone. I usually like to leave the skin on, and I find that the slime makes it want to bunch up or slide off more.
    Also, if a chicken is packaged with those absorbent pads, the also seem to leak a kinda goopy gel.

So, if I'm getting pasti-wrapped chicken, I usually rinse and then dry.
    When I get fresh whole, chickens out of the butcher case and wrapped in paper, they tend to be pretty dry / slime free on the outside and require just a quick pat-down with a paper towel.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

+ Reply to Thread