Thread: Reverse sear on steak

Reverse sear on steak

Anybody else do it? Did tonight for first time on a Big Green Egg. 250F indirect until like 110F, then got a cast iron pan rocket hot to sear. Was awesome.

Haven't tried myself mostly due to time (when I want steak I want it yesterday!) but I see it a lot on the CI cooking or culinary fanatic fb page. Sounds like it's the thing to do, probably similar to sous vide?

I like it better than sous vide steak. I still found it very tender but more... Steak-y. If that makes sense!

I do it all the time in my oven, heated to 250, but I like my steak a little more rare, so I pull it at 95. I use a grill pan to give me some nice sear marks.
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Yeah I think I'm going to pull 5 degrees or so earlier next time for my taste.

When I'm slow cooking (225ish) on the egg or in the smoker I'll run the steak up to 120 - 125F then pull. But I sear immediately and quickly. Smoked sirloin is especially suited to this.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I have been doing the reverse sear for a few years now, it's great. I dont set up the egg I just bought a couple of charcoal holders and make a 2 zone fire. They work really well better than piling it by hand. I do it for all my meat even half chickens. You just gotta move it around 10-15 degrees early so the skin can render.

The charcoal baskets are here.

Jared

i do it all the time. saw it on ATK, and it just seem easier..and less smoky!