Quantcast
How to prevent tang flex?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to prevent tang flex?

How to prevent tang flex?

Lets say a knife has a thin, flexy blade. Is there a way, other than to weld it to a different piece of metal, to prevent the metal from flexing in between the handle scales? Do wood scales usually prevent this enough on their own?

I'll be making an experimental paring knife soon, and don't want to finish it, and find out my flexy piece of steel will pop the handle scales off.

Hi Eamon, I've rehandled some really flexy tanged knives and found that the scales serve to stiffen up the action significantly once bolted up. I would think, however, that it's always possible to flex a blade enough to move inside the scales but I'd think that the scales would have to a) be not epoxied & b) only have pins used to allow any scale movement. Basically I'm saying that I think that it's not an issue really.

one way to fix it is to only use wa blades.

Good to hear! Thanks.

yep corbys are the best way and i have not had problems using pinstock on my 1/16 blade stock
    that said i think more and more about jsut grinding 3/32 thick down to 1/16 at the blade and that way i get the best of both worlds (stiff tang flexy blade) i do all my fishing knives liek this now

It's an issue. I have two knives that I can feel the torque in the handle. (Two different makers)

Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    yep corbys are the best way and i have not had problems using pinstock on my 1/16 blade stock
    that said i think more and more about jsut grinding 3/32 thick down to 1/16 at the blade and that way i get the best of both worlds (stiff tang flexy blade) i do all my fishing knives liek this now
    That is the most obvious solution, but it does make it a lot more expensive, and it's wasteful. You want a thick tang, but you don't need one with a fine carbide structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    It's an issue. I have two knives that I can feel the torque in the handle. (Two different makers)
    Are these two knives full, exposed tang knives?

One is. One is close.

These all help prevent tang flex, or so I'm told:

Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

+ Reply to Thread