Konosuke HD 210 Wa-Petty vs Suisin Inox Honyaki 210 Wa-Petty Comparison

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVoye

Reaction score
Another comparison thread-
I'm in the market for a 210 Wa-Petty and it has come down to these-
Konosuke HD 210 Wa-Petty
Suisin Inox Honyaki 210 Wa-Petty
or maybe even the Gesshin Ginga 210 Wa-Petty

I know there's alot of positive stuff out there on the Konosuke's; seems like a no brainer that it would be a great knife, f&f, profile, line functionality, ect.
What does the Suisin Inox have over the Konosuke if anything? sharpness and ease of sharpening, edge retention, f&f, handle, profile, overall quality? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I have the Tadatsuna 210 wa-petty. Fantastic thin, light knife with the best handle of the bunch and nice engraved kanji that doesn't rub off (Suisin).

Suisin has better edge retention/toughness than the ginga/hd
Ginga better edge retention/toughness than hd, ginga sharpens easier and takes finer edge than suisin
HD easier to sharpen than both, takes better edge, loses in toughness and edge retention.

I have seen Jon answer this question alot lately, maybe I will save him some trouble this time. This is a common comparison made, and there is actually a thread if you search on Kono HD/ GG/ Suisin comparisons, might help you out a bit, I think it's on Jon's japanese knife imports sub forum.

found it......Apologies for the re-post.....

Suisin has better edge retention/toughness than the ginga/hd

Ginga better edge retention/toughness than hd, ginga sharpens easier and takes finer edge than suisin

HD easier to sharpen than both, takes better edge, loses in toughness and edge retention.

I would have too disagree with those statements.

caddy, im pretty sure the order as far a retention is concerned is suisin inox, ginga then kono hd, the ease of sharpening is the same list but backward.

I think comparing two stainless knives to a semi is kind of apples to oranges. I find my HD knives to be tough as nails, but I use mainly carbon.

One factor that should be considered; the Suisin is very flexible; filet knife flexible. The HD, a tad less. Good for meat fab, not so great for a line knife....

You can disagree with it, I was just restating something Jon has said in these posts, I don't own any of these knives, so I really have no opinion on them. A guy at work has a 210 HD, another has a 210 ginga, they like them, that's all I know.

to the OP, i think the suisin is quite superior to the HD in terms of edge retention and fit and finish. but HD wins as an overall value, even though its pretty overpriced these days. in my opinion gesshin ginga and sakai yusuke is the way to go for this style of knives these days, whether its carbon or stainless steel.

I have had everything... Ikeda (Akifusa) are the best of the bunch

caddy, im pretty sure the order as far a retention is concerned is suisin inox, ginga then kono hd, the ease of sharpening is the same list but backward.

There is no real order, it is all perception from user experiences.

I have the Kono HD and Suisin IH for long time as my main knife, so they've seen plenty of stone time...I personally think the HD holds its edge longer. Although I've never used a Ginga, I'm pretty familiar with swedish stainless steels of various kinds, and they are among the easiest to get an edge on, but I don't see them being able to hold an edge longer than the semi-stainless HD steel. My opinion here.

Back