Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maq

Reaction score
Hi everyone first post here,

I am considering the Konosuke Fujiama Blue 2 gyuto. I would just like to hear some thoughts. I have seen lots of great testimonials about the White 1 and 2 series, but not a lot about the Blue 2.

Anyone have experience with this range? I am mainly concerned about edge retention, and reactivity of the blade (particularly the cladding).

Thanks for reading!

I'd just snag the one in B/S/T in white#1 right now if you're looking..

It's awesome. Really a fantastic cutter.

I have blue and white, and can't see major differences between them in edge-taking, edge-holding, or reactivity. I'm a home user, though, and don't give them the exercise they'd get in a pro kitchen. Incredible cutters.

Very few if any people can tell the difference between White #2 and Blue #2. I would concur with recommending the B/S/T opportunity.

according Hitachi Steel Co. in theory, Blue#2 is little more purify than White#2. therefore, the blue#2 have better edge retention, less food reactive, on the other hand, white#2 is easier to sharpening keen edge!
this is only in theory, different HT & knife maker may cause various result!!

They both sharpened up easily. No discernible difference. Sharpness? I got both of them screaming towards hell sharp. Retention? Slight edge to the blue, but to most people it would be almost indistinguishable especially in a pro environment.

according Hitachi Steel Co. in theory, Blue#2 is little more purify than White#2. therefore, the blue#2 have better edge retention, less food reactive, on the other hand, white#2 is easier to sharpening keen edge!
this is only in theory, different HT & knife maker may cause various result!!
i think blue 2 is just white 2 with added tungsten and chromium. which in theory should produce less reactivity and alittle better retention. in turn you sacrifice ease of sharpening and maybe some toughness?

They both sharpened up easily. No discernible difference. Sharpness? I got both of them screaming towards hell sharp. Retention? Slight edge to the blue, but to most people it would be almost indistinguishable especially in a pro environment.

This has been my experience as well.

maybe it was just the heat treat or something else, but actually the difference to me besides retention was that blue steel seems at its best with a 2-4k toothy finish while white seems to really shine with a 6-8 finish.

i think blue 2 is just white 2 with added tungsten and chromium. which in theory should produce less reactivity and alittle better retention. in turn you sacrifice ease of sharpening and maybe some toughness?
according Hitachi Steel Co. information, "JIS SK steel">purify>"yellow#2">purify>"white#2">purify & added C, Cr>blue#2

maybe it was just the heat treat or something else, but actually the difference to me besides retention was that blue steel seems at its best with a 2-4k toothy finish while white seems to really shine with a 6-8 finish.

This is new to me. I am going to try it out and see.

okay it took me a while to find this, but in this link J Broida explains that blue steel is white steel with added tungsten and chromium.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...e-about-Shiro-ko-3(white-3)?highlight=hitachi

I don't want to say Jon is wrong, maybe somethings I didn't know about!! however, I can't find any information about blue steel added tungsten....if you go Hitachi steel CO. Japan web site, you can find lots white/ blue steel composition and no tungsten at all!!
check HERE (white/ blue steel composition in English)& open "Specification of YSS High class Cutlery steel.pdf" file..see it youself!!

:Osorry I made mistake!! blue do added tungsten!! my bad!!please ignore my last posted!!Jon is correct![/B]
I don't want to say Jon is wrong, maybe somethings I didn't know about!! however, I can't find any information about blue steel added tungsten....if you go Hitachi steel CO. Japan web site, you can find lots white/ blue steel composition and no tungsten at all!!
check HERE (white/ blue steel composition in English)& open "Specification of YSS High class Cutlery steel.pdf" file..see it youself!!

hitachi states it on their website... (fyi wolfram=tungsten)

sorry! Jon, your correct!! I made huge mistake....I'm geting old.....
@labor, sorry for confuse you!!

Old post but same question. From the pics on CKTG the Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 Gyuto and Konosuke Fujiyama White #2 Gyuto both have a low secondary bevel. Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 Gyuto has a higher eye candy secondary bevel. All in 240cm length.

Can someone tell if there is any real difference between both bevel types and is there some reason for that difference? I would rather prefer a Fujiyama White #1 with the Fuji Blue #2 bevel.

I have read Kono Fujiyama Gyutos run shorter on heel to tip like 230cm, can someone confirm that?

Thanks

my 240 fuji white 2 runs about 230mm long. I'll leave the bevel question to someone else. But I can say that you won't be sorry if you go with the white 2

Back