• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Marko 250mm practice gyuto in 52100 with chestnut handle and basswood sheath

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heirkb

Reaction score
Might be the first Marko practice knife on the BST. So far, this knife is the best pure cutter I've used. Cuts through most things with zero effort and almost no effort on huge turnips, carrots, etc. (if you keep the tip down, heel up, and push cut forward). Anything that sticks comes off easily. Marko's 52100 is also really great: it's almost like stainless in terms of reactivity now that I have a patina on it (mustard+a little bit of use), and it holds an edge really well. The knife is fairly light at 154g and the profile is pretty flat near the back, so it's not the best I've used for rock chopping. Not sure what else to add in terms of performance, I'm sure you all have read the reviews of the various stages of Marko's knives. This is a fairly recently refinished practice knife.

Used lightly for a few months. Sharpened only once and the bevel is really thin, because the grind is very thin behind the edge. Very stable patina. A chestnut handle installed by Mike Henry with a little epoxy. A homemade, well-oiled sheath made out of basswood with a homemade walnut pin (see the last pictures for tips on using the sheath).

Specs:
Edge length heel to tip: 249-250mm
Height at heel: a hair over 50mm
Spine at heel: ~3mm
Spine at midpoint: ~2mm
Spine ~1" behind tip: little over 1mm
Thickness ~1/2" above edge at heel: ~1mm

Price: I want to get back close to what I put in considering that I've added a handle and sheath to this knife. 255 USD shipped CONUS with tracking. Insurance is extra (I can't be responsible for covering the package out of pocket if you don't get insurance). I'll throw in a free jar of homemade board butter (if I can find it) with this knife.

photo1_zpsd81471e2.jpg

photo2_zpsb74c99d7.jpg

photo3_zpsddec4531.jpg

photo5_zpse3394cf6.jpg

patina shots
photo1_zps5c6166b3.jpg

photo2_zps0dbe4d46.jpg

a few choil shots
photo2_zps30b24514.jpg

photo3_zpsd2e97d35.jpg

photo4_zps604b63a5.jpg

tip
photo_zpsc4608162.jpg

handle joint
photo5_zps8a5676ad.jpg

I didn't make the cavity perfectly unfortunately, so when putting the sheath on, lightly push the spine into the part of the sheath that it contacts (towards my thumb in this picture) to make the knife fit all the way in. You'll get it without thinking after a few tries.
photo1_zps6c9cd702.jpg

Push with your thumb like in this picture to get the knife out, it's the easiest way.
photo2_zps56d0cf0b.jpg

Haha. I've got one PM. I'll update the thread when I receive payment.

Sold in 10 minutes. Not a record, but not bad. :D

I was really tempted and glad that I did not give in. lol
looking at the pictures, I can tell it's a real cutter having all the right component (thin behind the edge, distal taper, slight convex).

Congrats to the buyer.

Mixed blessing having to work. Marko does beautiful work. Someday soon. Congratulations on the sale and new purchase.

The profile on that knife was a little on a flatter side, so if the new owner would like to send it in, I will reprofile (and refinish it) at no charge, just pay for the shipping.

M

First and foremost, it's my knife, so it's not unreasonable to offer some perks to owners, whether they are first, or second, or third. Anyway, the offer stands. I would have written it on PM, but I don't know who got it.

M

And Marko that is why I am sad I was at work and didnt get this knife, and one day in the near future will own one of your beautiful knives...or two or....

Really nice of you, Marko. I'm shipping this to you tomorrow morning.

Back