Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: KKF has new owners

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    the whole point of this forum is to be an alternative to marks crap. at least, thats what i thought it was. if you include knifeforums, he actually has 2 forums where his word is law.
    I think it's been about 9 months since Mark last posted on knifeforums. I can not imagine how that could lead to his word being law there? But if you say it's so, it must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    You are wrong I have read the whole thread and there is nothing wrong with my comprehension. What you are missing is that because something has always been a certain way does not make it the correct or best way. Everyone who participates here should have an equal say to what needs changing and what does not. Payment status should have nothing to do with it in either direction.
    Well, I've been perfectly happy with how things are so PLEASE DON'T CHANGE A THING.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT I SEE ******* INSTEAD OF MARK'S LAST NAME. It brings a smile to my face.

It makes me so happy every time I look on the forum and see the asterisks that it makes me want to And this And this (And I'm not even exaggerating.)

I don't ever want to see any of Mark or his related vendors here. He openly cannibalizes the work of other vendors. He'll start carrying a product as soon as someone else starts carrying it and sells a lot of it, and then he'll try to undercut the prices of other vendors. See Beston, Bester, Rika combo, Fujiwara Teruyasu, Sakai Yusuke, etc.

Frankly, contrary to mkmk contends, we have had numerous discussions about Mark's knives here, whether its been the Artifex, Addict, etc. Some people have openly praised those knives. Others have had issues with them. How does that affect the credibility of the forum when we discuss his products, but just don't post his name?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    Actually I think they have become symbiotic. I build and service electric guitars and tube amps on the side. I belong to TGP - a forum that doubles in membership every year. There is a builders sub forum as well as BST, general info, ect. It functions much the same way as KKF only on a much bigger scale. And it works - why? - because there are rules. Rules put in place because of past events - it's called evolution.

I know that forum well. There are no Voldemort figures there whose names can't even be uttered. Nothing even close.

The policy here is silly, childish, and counter-productive. And yes, I know, I'll just be accused of somehow defending Voldemort, which is ********. Beyond that, I'm relatively new and haven't contributed yet, so to many of you that means I have little credibility. Consider it this way, though: when a new person comes in here, he sees a lot of great info, some great people, and some foolish circling of the wagons and antagonistic tendencies that erode the credibility of the whole site. Maybe that's fine. You should be able to recognize, though, that it rubs off on the very people you're trying to protect.

My understanding was the use of ***** helps the threads/ this forum from coming up during seached for richmond, etc., so his name does not get a rankings boost due to the thread links. But frankly I'm not savvy on the search engine ranking proceedures, so I am just relaying what I had heard.

I do wish words like *****, ******, ******** and **** ****** were not bleeped out though; a little cussin' never hurt anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by mkmk View Post
    I look to this forum for a variety of things, but independent and objective assessment of products and vendors isn't one of them. The rules, as they are currently enforced, require me to read with a significant grain of salt.
    Really?

A ton of people here have bought from Mark, probably everyone on the forum in the US (this is just a guess lol). Some have had good experiences, some have had bad, some just an ordinary transactions. People here are quite honest and straight forward. Members graciously pass around knives worth hundreds, give away amazing blades to people in need, and offer pertinent advise/suggestions to just about any question asked. I'm amazed at the detailed info freely given on the forum by people who make a career off of it, and by its members who are enthusiastic about their hobby. It's just that there are other sources for the same knives sold at chef knives to go, and other brands sold by different sources. Members do really make honest suggestions here.

I think the mods/admins understand some want less censorship. I could personally care less. This is a free resource/forum, like many others. Use them all, use none. I don't expect anything from it personally, just happy with what I find and the many kindnesses I see. This place is ran well ran, and I appreciate that. Check out overclock.net and avs forums, and you'll see the real world of internet forums. This place is an oasis in my opinion.

My suggestion to the management here would be to close this thread down, as everything that pretty much needs to be said has been said. Open a "Welcome/intro Austin" thread on a positive note. And let others with concern contact the appropriate person through a PM.

Administrator
    I've read through the entirety of this thread. I thank you all for the welcomes.

I've spoken with many of you personally, both on the phone and through private messages, and I understand this issue very well.

Right now I will not be making and policy changes. Once I've been here a while I would be happy to revisit the policy, but for the time being there will be no changes.

Just let me get into the swing of things then we can take it from there.

Again, thanks for having me!

Quote Originally Posted by jayhay View Post
    My suggestion to the management here would be to close this thread down, as everything that pretty much needs to be said has been said. Open a "Welcome/intro Austin" thread on a positive note. And let others with concern contact the appropriate person through a PM.
    I second that...
    At Death's Door You Only Have 2 choices. Die Happy or Die Regretfully.
    Knowing this...........Choose 1 and Live!!!!!!!!!

NOW WAIT A MINUTE

Did you increase the allowable avatar size????

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    NOW WAIT A MINUTE

Did you increase the allowable avatar size????
    Looks Texas size to me

Just curious. Dave, do you still have mod powers or are you totally "out" and now solely a vendor on the forums? Welcome to the new owner, I like your attitude already

I don't want to get into it too much because I know a lot of people get pretty emotional about everything, but to those who are criticising the censorship policy, I'd like them to look to Foodie Forums. That place was the first forum I posted in and was awesome, a high percentage of the members here posted there and it was very popular. However, soon certain vendors started making a mass of posts about their products and everything went downhill. In my opinion there wasn't really a clear way to deal with vendors and Fred was perhaps underprepared for it, the admin policy was a bit of a mess and it's now little more than a shell of what it once was. Just something to think about for those who don't like how Dave does things