Quantcast
Important Announcement KKF has new owners - Page 13
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: KKF has new owners

The Shwartz is strong with you....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I'd have a beer with Ken Onion.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    The Shwartz is strong with you....

Let's all agree to not Go Plaid!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Censorship only diminishes the forum and the admins, and looks childish and petty. If the critique of some vendors is substantive, it can stand on its own.

This is a serious question: do you want this to be the premiere forum for discussion of kitchen knives, or do you want it to be a promotional platform for only a few brands/vendors? These are not the same thing, and I believe you're fooling yourselves if you think it can be both.

I totally agree with you on that, but i think we all know what going to happen if some people come back
    Then some will start new forum and many members will move again

There is a reason why we moved and it will happen again

It is wishful thinking that you can make all happy and include all parties without hell brake loose . It is not only in Knife forums but in Razor forums too BB vs SRP etc.

Just my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by mkmk View Post
    Censorship only diminishes the forum and the admins, and looks childish and petty. If the critique of some vendors is substantive, it can stand on its own.

This is a serious question: do you want this to be the premiere forum for discussion of kitchen knives, or do you want it to be a promotional platform for only a few brands/vendors? These are not the same thing, and I believe you're fooling yourselves if you think it can be both.
    Agreed!
    I have basically stopped perusing these forums for those very reasons.
    With this change, I hope to see a KKF that I could once again start participating on.

I've just read through this entire post, and I'm not surprised at all by the sale. I'm a little pessimistic, as others, but I think it's great that Dave found the strength to make the sale, as it's a good move for KKF and himself. It's not an easy thing to build something from the ground up, and then let it go. It's taken on a life of its own, and it deserves to be able to grown and not be confined by a single vendor's (well, in this case two guys) whims and physical abilities/limitations.

I'm grateful to Dave for creating and maintaining this place over the past 2+ years. I've learned a ton and made some great friends and contacts that I would not have if this place hadn't existed.

I also won't be surprised if ads start popping up. It's all part of capitalism. Almost all of the other forum I participate in have ads, and SimpleAdBlock or AdBlockPlus deal with it.

Dave, now that your not in the super-admin role, I seriously hope you, Jim and Austin reconsider; A) your ridiculously childish censorship rules on certain people's names and websites; and B) you keep your hatred and bad mouthing to yourself and off of the forum. This place is great because of the members, and because of the ethics that we have. Publicly bad mouthing other people is in bad taste, and makes those of us that weren't involved uncomfortable. I feel you've taken liberties in what you've posted because you owned the place. Sure it was you're sand box, but now you should be subject to the same rules & reg's as the rest of us.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

The issue broached is censorship. It at the very least, hinders free discussion. To a new member who isn't aware of the history, looking at a stream of asterisks has to be confusing. Hell I know the history, and I have to count asterisks sometimes to figure the "hidden" words. We are all grown ups here, and 80% of the membership has kinda figured it out. The kitchen knife community is a small one. I am sure we have all peeked "over there". To not be able to say a name or word is very "Harry Potter" and I think we are all mature enough to take it with a grain of salt, but is it still necessary?

At the other end of the censorship/banning issue. If it was done because any given entity is/was/will be attempting to sell/shill product without a vendors licence has a green light to be censored.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

This is getting good. Since I don't want to violate the terms of my re-instatement from being terminated, I'll just watch the show.

-AJ

If the content is good, and if there are clear guidelines about dealer participation, promotional activities, and flame wars, it can be fine. If it's an exclusive club with a silly blacklist, it will never have the credibility of a truly neutral, open forum.

I don't have a dog in this fight -- I've bought from a lot of dealers. Some are favored here, and some are not. Every time I see ****, though, I just roll me eyes at the pettiness.