Bent knife, what to do?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xhills

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have a question about a knife I just got I was hoping you could help me with.

I'm hoping to leave as many details out of it to keep all parties anonymous.

So here's the knife

ZgxRJPU.jpg

If you can't see the problem it's bent between knife and handle. For all intents the handle is horizontally straight in the above image.

What can I do to remedy this myself? Will it just bend back in shape at the handle point?

I'm not really interested in sending it anywhere as sending it anywhere from Australia is soooo expensive and I could just put up with the kink since the blade portion itself is fine.

Thanks for taking a look!

Where are you in Australia? If you are in either Sydney or Melbourne, Leigh and Eddie at Chef's armoury may be of your help. Looks like it could be that the blade didn't go in straight into the handle.

So I had some contact from the vendor within 5mins of posting this thread, which was very impressive.

Had some pointers on what may have happened and how I might overcome. Basically the handle is a soft wood and in the whole shipping process it had most likely shifted or been affected by heat/vibration.

Long story short it was suggested a bit of delicate/brute force might help the situation.

After 5mins:

j1pC8kG.jpg

Needless to say this is very, very close to being perfectly straight. In fact I'd say it is straight. The desk lines (don't worry, it's not a pine chopping board) make it a little deceptive.

The blade portion is most definitely straight.

Thanks for the input guys.

If you are in either Sydney or Melbourne, Leigh and Eddie at Chef's armoury may be of your help.
Well I'm on the Central Coast and work in Sydney so I will keep that in mind if I have troubles in the future; thanks for the tip!

happy it turned out well for you :D
And very glad that i could help

And Very sorry by that trouble :sad0:

Maxim, you are a most honest vendor and deserve much respect for coming forward and setting this straight!

Cheers!

Maxim sets the standard, and we try to come close to meeting it. I mean that....

Usually mono steel flexes and you don't see this problem unless enough force is applied resulting in bending.
However, thin knives can bend like this and stays like this especially clad knives.
Even during sharpening a blade if a blade becomes hot (due to the use of hot water on your stone or heat by friction) your blade can bend.
When this happens, the remedy that always worked for me is
1. place your blade on a flat surface
2. place a towel or something on the blade to protect your hand
3. place one hand (palm) on top of 2 and press down
4. apply force with your other hand by lifting up the knife handle to flatten your blade.
Just do this gently until a blade becomes flat.
I've done it with a few knives including a couple of yanagibas.

thank you guys for your kind words :)

Just to make clear knife was not bend, it just handle wood movement, while been in the air

thank you guys for your kind words :)

Just to make clear knife was not bend, it just handle wood movement, while been in the air

Oh, my bad. Looking at the picture more carefully, you are right. My apologies.

When this happens, the remedy that always worked for me is
1. place your blade on a flat surface
2. place a towel or something on the blade to protect your hand
3. place one hand (palm) on top of 2 and press down
4. apply force with your other hand by lifting up the knife handle to flatten your blade.
Just do this gently until a blade becomes flat.
I've done it with a few knives including a couple of yanagibas.

This is pretty much what I did, except I forgot about all the safety business and I pushed down on the handle. It only took a minute or two before it had all straightened out.

I must reiterate that the blade was not bent, it was a handle movement during shipping (as maxim has said) and I was very happy with buying from maxim and his post purchase care and support.

Would do again.

Back