Quantcast
how jaded are you?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how jaded are you?

how jaded are you?

tk59s thread about ultimate sharpness got me thinking: how jaded are you regarding sharp knives? i love my knew Shigefusa. thin behind the edge, super keen, just great. it doesn't feel as sharp as my first Shun did, 5 years ago. i had used poorly sharpened (by me) German knives up until that 5.5 inch Shun santoku (bought it because it was the cheapest "full size" Shun Sur La Table sold), and Shun just felt like a light saber, out of the box.

my Shigefusa, and my Mizuno, and my Konosuke, and my Yoshihiro usuba, and my yanagi, and every J-knife i've bought in the last two years have been way sharper (well, right after i started with water stones maybe not quite as sharp, but i got a lot better pretty quick!), but they just don't feel sharp, anymore. have i just gotten as sharp as it's likely to get, and i've gotten used to it? i feel jaded. anybody else feel that?

Use someone else's knives to make yourself feel better Some people see it as a philosophical thing. "The race for perfection has no finish line-so technically, It's more like a death march." It also has to be said that when you get into high end J-knives, your perception of what is sharp changes incredibly quickly. The first time I ever sharpened a knife with sandpaper, the edge seemed to last for ages, but looking back I now know that it didn't, because my perception of a sharp edge was so low then

I hate to admit it, but I do a little bit too. And this is the guy who admits ultimate sharpness isn't my goal!
    I find I almost look down on peoples' "dull" knives. I'm not judging them, or their knives, but rather their knives' performance.
    Now I feel like an a-hole! Haha
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I've come to the realization that sharp is not #1 for kitchen cutlery. #1 is Durable. As long as it isn't dull, the focus is not on making it as screaming sharp as possible, but on building a strong edge that will take serious abuse. Sharpness is only #1 when you are talking scalpels, it's tied for #1(with smoothness) for Straights, and that's about it.

Did you copy and paste my post from the other thread??
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I feel the same way about my first experience with a Mac knife (about a decade and a half ago). Prior to that, I was all about German blades and tri-stones. This cat broke out a Mac and shaved a patch of his arm hair. He proceeded to let me cut a tomato.... I was sold; I purchased three Mac knives the very next day, and many more since. (Obviously I have moved to other Jknives as well, but still love the Mac's). Every knife I have since purchased, has been compared in my head, to my first Mac's; which as many know are ridiculously sharp OOTB. I have been chasing that edge forever.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

in my experience, the hyper sharp edge doesn't last past a couple touches of the cutting board, but the sharper the knife, the longer it will stay sharp, even if less sharp than it was.

Sounds like it's time to do some thinning....
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Sounds like it's time to do some thinning....
    thinning more wouldn't increase usable cutting ability for any of my knives except my Hattori FH, and i haven't thinned it because it's my beater.

I have one word for you: Fingerstones