Sayas for My Babies

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
This might be hard to believe, but I can't think of who I should contact to get a couple sayas done for my knives. I just got a Marr gyuto, straight from Adam, and it deserves to be wearing something special, as does my Misono Dragon.

I know Eamon used to be the guy, but who do I contact now? I have a few leather workers I deal with, but I'm talking old-school (but upgraded wood) sayas.

Anywho, PM me, or post here, assuming that's cool with the powers that be. :)

Dammit! Had I known, I would have asked him!

This might be hard to believe, but I can't think of who I should contact to get a couple sayas done for my knives. I just got a Marr gyuto, straight from Adam, and it deserves to be wearing something special, as does my Misono Dragon.

I know Eamon used to be the guy, but who do I contact now? I have a few leather workers I deal with, but I'm talking old-school (but upgraded wood) sayas.

Anywho, PM me, or post here, assuming that's cool with the powers that be. :)

same here! looking some one who can be trusted with good craftsmanship like Marko....I've asked Michael Rader & Marko, but they are all too busy making knives. Mike D is busy to taking care his baby right now. Eamon still owe me two saya for 5 month & still waiting........the only person I can think of is Isaiah Schroeder from c*k*t*g

If you want a "sandwich" saya, like Eamon made, there's a fellow named Tim Johnson who makes them. Not a member here, though, so I won't put a link or email addy up. If you are curious enough, you can find him.

Hey, may I know, what material of your handle?

I have done few sayas for my own knives and my friends. But again, I'm not a professional, just hobby to fill up my empty time.

Get Son to make you a rat trap saya.
They have rats that big in NY right? He can find a couple traps big enough and magic marker them :p
BEST SAYA EVER!

Tom,
you should try your hand at a sandwich-type. Those are not difficult to make with basic tools.

If you want a "sandwich" saya, like Eamon made, there's a fellow named Tim Johnson who makes them. Not a member here, though, so I won't put a link or email addy up. If you are curious enough, you can find him.
Rick, isn't Tim Johnson same as KKF member "taz575" here??

I have done few sayas for my own knives and my friends. But again, I'm not a professional, just hobby to fill up my empty time.
any pictures of your works??

I only have my pictures in my phone, and I have a hard time to upload it.

Maybe I only can email it, then somebody just upload it, but I don't know if it's again the law of not in this forum.

Tom....I have seen a handle you did and it was pretty good. I am 100% certain you are capable of the task.

Maybe I only can email it, then somebody just upload it, but I don't know if it's again the law of not in this forum.

Pretty sure it's fine because you are not trying to sell it.
You can show off you work, afaik.

I won't mess around $500 knife & $100 saya wood.....

The thing you're most likely to mess up in a sandwich type is not the outer wood, but the thin piece of wood in the middle you use with the shape of the blade cut out of it. It's probably better to make that out of some soft (and cheap) wood like basswood anyways. Your knife will be fine.

Hi Charles, if you got my pictures, can you please post it? Thanks

Matt, I would do it myself, but I'm lazy. :D Just kidding. Crap...now I know I'm going to end up doing one. Meh, it makes sense I guess. Haha.

Wenus, maybe I'll commission Son to make me one as well. A huge rat trap saya almost sounds awesome!

saya made by Kinkoz
image2_zps8579d2ea.jpeg

image5_zps603680cf.jpeg

image_zpsfca398b0.jpeg

image6_zps90793658.jpeg

image4_zpsd30e8065.jpeg

Actually, it's not that difficult to make. A lot of fun.....

Actually, it's not that difficult to make. A lot of fun.....

If you try to make one identical to original Japanese (Masamoto or Suisin are good examples, in ebony, without a pin), it is. It' s doable, but would require some skill and effort.

M

That look great kinkoz, I like the kanji touch and the grooves.
Especially awesome for a first time experience.

Thanks, and will be a lot a lot more kanji in the future...

Back