Quantcast
From Scrap Iron to Sujihiki - Video WIP
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Scrap Iron to Sujihiki - Video WIP

From Scrap Iron to Sujihiki - Video WIP

Hello Folks, a little weekend project I have had going on. I will add some more video as I go. I think the first video is fairly self explanatory, I dont want to spoil it for you so have a watch... let me know if you have any questions. I will add more video and pictures as we go.

Love the background music, super cool video.

Cant wait to see the rest of the footage you took

Thanks Guys, There are easier ways to make a knife, but this way is an interesting experiment. If its successful or not, have to wait and see, either way its a learning experience.

Nice Will. Thanks for posting.

I LOVE this so far. Thanks Will!

A lot of talk about steels and their composition goes over my head, but this sort of thing is pretty interesting and the notes help

Yes its a nice straight forward way to make a straight forward steel. There are a few things I had not realized until I did this which make it even cooler. You can make a very high carbon steel this way without melting anything....easily up to 1.5%C and above. I'm not sure it would become cast unless you got it super hot. The depth that the carbon migrates is deeper than I thought it might. It will be interesting to see what this steel looks and cuts like. A brief brake on a heat treated piece showed a nice fine grain in the mild steel batch and a pretty nice grain in the wrought and that was before many folds and without any heat cycling. So I'm quite excited to see if you can actually make a nice steel like this and how it will compare with other low alloy steels.
    I think next time I will use some high grade Iron or pure Iron as it just makes life hard using the claggy stuff I had in the form of old barrel hoops on the shelf, but I wanted to do it with what was to hand, as part of the experiment.....
    Here is a sneaky pic of the gorgeous texture on the blister steel as it comes out of the can. This is from two that had welded themselves together in the can and I broke apart.

Next Vid uploading....don't hold your breath, we are still on copper phone lines here

On Carbon content, I did some comparative spark testing after all the refining with some known samples. I would estimate the carbon to be above 0.9% and below 1.2%. But the proof is in the pudding, the long pointy pudding

+ Reply to Thread