Magnetic Strips and Earthquakes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Living in California... I'm wondering if anyone has experienced knives coming off their mag strips during/after an earthquake, and what the knife aftermath may have been, if any, from that drop..

Being that I too am in venice and my store has a bunch of magbloks, we haven't had any trouble in the past 2 years ( more if you consider how long we've had them at home )

It's been a lot longer than two years since the west side had a good sized rumble.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the idea if people in the Valley during the Northridge quake or the Bay Area during Loma Prieta reported everything on their mag blocks stayed put.

sw

We had a decent rumble a couple of weeks ago and my knives didn't even move. I use an Ikea knife bar with some cork tape onver the top so my knives don't get scratched.

That's good to hear.

I'm guessing it was the Anza quake on the 11th. It was a 4.7, fairly strong.

It was out in the boondocks, though. By the time it reached the metro areas of LA, OC and SD it had calmed down quite a bit.

It won't fail provided you have a decent magnetic pull on a surface of the block.

I would worry more about an exorcism than an earthquake.

Back