Bright San Mai straight

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
Bright finished O1 core San Mai damascus

Barber notch, and buffalo horn scales, with a scalloped nickel/silver wedge.

IMG_0284_zpscbe23385.jpg

IMG_0285_zps8c5d9288.jpg

IMG_0287_zps6844498c.jpg

IMG_0286_zpsba2439dc.jpg

IMG_0290_zps2c546267.jpg

why are you messing with straight razors when you have a project to finish? wicked by the way.

everybody keeps telling that, I have heart problems and might not live that much longer. did the sympathy thing work?

A teeny weeny flicker of something just poked the part of my brain that controls by emergency beer locator. Now I got to go get a beer...

I've worn a beard for the last fourteen years, and a razor like that might actually convince me that shaving is a good idea.

Great work Pierre.

That is an amazing piece of work! I hope this does not constitute blind praise for a forum vendor.

Pierre,
in your experience which is easier to make , a razor or a knife?

I'm lucky enough to have handled one of Pierre's razors, and let me tell you, they're pretty damn incredible.

Pierre,
in your experience which is easier to make , a razor or a knife?

A knife.

I am putting my self on the line, and learning as much as I can as fast as I can as far as razors are concerned.

HT's for any given steel is the same whether knife or razor. Goal hardness may differ. Grinding is a complete rethink. Its similar to going from a hunting knife to a kitchen knife, as going from a kitchen knife to a razor. Grinding is a whole other issue. The thinness of the edge, doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room to prevent a grind through, on top of that you are grinding in a hollow, you cant see as easily, and its so thin, you have to be careful of heat so as not to wreck the temper. You have a couple hundred degrees , but in thin as foil steel, it can get there in seconds. as well all your belt covers 2/3's of the blade! so concentration becomes important.

Pierre -- is that up for sale, or are you just showing off?

Lol!! This one finds its new home in Denmark to one of our own. I have a couple damascus and 52100 blades fighting for a moment of my time.

Stoppit. Just stoppit Pierre. That looks too good. You're going to cause a rift in space due to the disproportionate amount of awesome in one place...

LOL!! Well in another part of the interweb universe, I just ran into the "Borg"! Boy, talk about picking your battles!

And thank you! I'm glad you guys approve.

That's a beauty, Pierre! Your razors are coming along well!

Got the razor :D Thanks Pierre :doublethumbsup:
Look fantastisk so much better then the picture ! Will report back when i shave !

Back