Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best All-Around Japanese Blade Shape?

Question Best All-Around Japanese Blade Shape?

What is the best blade shape for all around use in the kitchen? What length do you prefer? Thanks.

Pointy, about so long........
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Sugimoto #7 cleaver if your a cleaver man, its short enough for cramped kitchens, has a very nice taper as well. As well as has the weight behind the blade for some crazy chopping action.

For gyoto's I'm really liking the Masamoto KS series, not as much as the sugi tho, not yet :P

The gyuto is generally considered the "all arounder" but many prefer a sujihiki. (I like somewhere between)
    Anything from 210-270 are the popular lengths, 240 being most common around here.
    It's all personal preference though.

What are you thinking you want?
    What are you doing with it?
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Hi K - welcome to KKF.

The answer to your question is probably a Gyuto, which is a japanese version of your standard chef's knife.

As for length, 240mm is a good size. I have a 210mm which I am pretty happy with, though occasionally wish it were a little longer.

R

Blade Shape?? do you mean type of Japanese knife? "gyuto"!! 240mm for home cook & 270mm for pro kitchen worker....in Japan, most popular all-around knife is santoku.....
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

if you asked "Best All-Around knife", I'll said Chinese cleaver!! but, Chinese cleaver is not Japanese knife......
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I was thinking something similar to a French chef's knife or maybe santoku shape. It will be used for vegetables, fish, and chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Pointy, about so long........
    So my Randall #14 would work? SMH...

Shigefusa profile then. It has enough curve for rocking, while flat area and height could double as santoku.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com