Best All-Around Japanese Blade Shape?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sugimoto #7 cleaver if your a cleaver man, its short enough for cramped kitchens, has a very nice taper as well. As well as has the weight behind the blade for some crazy chopping action.

For gyoto's I'm really liking the Masamoto KS series, not as much as the sugi tho, not yet :p

:)
The gyuto is generally considered the "all arounder" but many prefer a sujihiki. (I like somewhere between)
Anything from 210-270 are the popular lengths, 240 being most common around here.
It's all personal preference though.

What are you thinking you want?
What are you doing with it?

Hi K - welcome to KKF.

The answer to your question is probably a Gyuto, which is a japanese version of your standard chef's knife.

As for length, 240mm is a good size. I have a 210mm which I am pretty happy with, though occasionally wish it were a little longer.

R

Blade Shape?? do you mean type of Japanese knife? "gyuto"!! 240mm for home cook & 270mm for pro kitchen worker....in Japan, most popular all-around knife is santoku.....

if you asked "Best All-Around knife", I'll said Chinese cleaver!! but, Chinese cleaver is not Japanese knife......

I was thinking something similar to a French chef's knife or maybe santoku shape. It will be used for vegetables, fish, and chicken.

Shigefusa profile then. It has enough curve for rocking, while flat area and height could double as santoku.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like it will be a gyuto for now since I already have an old Spyderco santoku(but will probably add a nice new santoku in the future).

240 gyuto is the standar answer, though everyone's preferences are different. As for which gyuto profile...again, it depends on your knuckle clearance/grip, cutting style and even where you like the tip, based on height of the counter relative to you elbow (seriously). Right now, I'd say my favourite profile is a Sabatier (KS), or Misono Dragon. Pierre Rodrigue's midtech has a great narrow-ish profile, with a very useable tip. You kinda have to try them out and see what works best, really.

I was thinking something similar to a French chef's knife or maybe santoku shape. It will be used for vegetables, fish, and chicken.

you may want to consider a 240mm tall gyuto with low tip!!

About such and such round and this or so tall. Doesn't lean too much 2 liter style, but not exactly classic coke bottle. Wait, was this question about knives?

If the knife's a rocking don't come a knocking!

Not sure how that helps in this situation, but I stand by it after Knyfeknerd's debate rolls over into other formats.

Not sure about shape but I always think that if there's a fire in the house, you have to be able to carry her out otherwise she's too big..

270 gyuto for me. Hattori FH profile is perfect in my opinion, not a fan of super flat knives at all

Sugimoto #7 cleaver if your a cleaver man, its short enough for cramped kitchens, has a very nice taper as well. As well as has the weight behind the blade for some crazy chopping action.

For gyoto's I'm really liking the Masamoto KS series, not as much as the sugi tho, not yet :p

:goodpost:

Jay

my misono dragon, and sabatiers are my favorites edge profile wise... Not too flat, not too much belly.:2cents:

I completely agree. I can't stand too flat or too much belly. The less belly the better.

Wait, are we still talking about knives????

Back