Removing stains?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edz

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've spotted some stains on the board and have reached out to David but unfortunately he is not sure what to do, so opening it up to the forum.

I've tried cleaning with detergent, vinegar and mineral oil. Once cleaned and slightly damp it seems that the stains have been removed but they soon appear once the board has dried. Applying mineral oil produces the best result but again the stains appear as the layer of oil wears away.

Any tips on reducing or removing this?

Cheers

Salt + lemon juice??

A magic eraser is also an idea (but definitely try it in a non visible spot first!!) as they can dull a finish!!!

it's a cutting board, who cares? alternately, a bit of 500 grit wet/dry sandpaper will take care of it, i'm sure.

1. what caused it? Need to know so that it will not happen again.

2. Logically, I believe that what ever caused it has let the marks either on the wax or into the wood, hopefully not too deep. IF the board has been well oiled and not starved, then most probably it wld be at superficial level.

3. AS mentioned above, I suppose sanding the top later, I wld commence with 220 grit and lower it needed adn finish it off on a 320 grit as it may not be a good idea to have a cutting board over polished so that the food will stay put on the board and not slide off.

4. I wld use an orbital sander with variable speed . A drum sander wld be nice. IF not, a block of wood with elbow grease applied is the way to go. go all around so that you dont create a depression on the board. After it is done the process of oiling and waxing it has to be done so that dark liquids will not penetrate into the board adn discolor it.,, again.

5. Finally, if it is too deep, it may take a alot of work. I wld do it over several occasions , say when the board gets too many scratches then I wld do the sanding again. You'll get there ... someday.

have fun..
rgds
D

A light sanding with an orbital sander or a palm sander will resurface the board. Stains are typically only on the surface.

Not so. The sandpaper will gum up in minutes using a belt sander or an orbital sander from the oil, wax and fats on the board. With an oily board there is no light sanding. Sanding the board will take a lot of time, patience and sandpaper unless the user has a sandpaper cleaner (eraser) and knows how to use it. Otherwise the abrasive will skim across the surface riding on a film of build-up on the paper.

If the stains bother you, send it back to me and I will resurface it at no charge and return it to you in a like new condition.

Thanks folks, and thanks David for the offer.

I've decided I'll live with it. I gave it a good clean yesterday and applied a generous layer of mineral oil and it's not looking too shabby. How often should I apply oil as I find after a good wash with detergent it's starting to look dull.

Thanks again guys.

Board butter is better that just oil. One once of bees wax melted into 4 ounces of mineral oil will fix your board right up.

Back