Quantcast
Opinion on Fujiwara FKH - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on Fujiwara FKH

Do you switch sides over and over??

I'm really wondering how you do to scratch the left face. With Japanese double bevelled blades it's flat except for the tiny bevel which has quite a steep angle, at 15-20degree. Even if you convex it there will be plenty distance to the stone.
    Scratching will sooner occur on the right face, which is convexed, and where you start at a very low angle above the edge.

I am not sure if my way of sharpening is right actually. I usually put a ver low angel on left side, may be 5 or less and do it about 10 stroke from right sided. Every once in a while I tend to push the blade too strong resulting the whole left blade rubbing agains the stone making the left side all scratch up.

A few suggestions if you don't mind. If you're fine with the existing geometry, there's no reason to count strokes. Start on one side with your coarse stone at a low angle. Look where you're abrading steel, the scratch pattern should tell you, it will be a few millimeters above the very edge. Go on and rise your spine little by little, and so your going down to the very edge. Go on and raise a burr. Switch the side, and do the same, starting above the edge.
    For the final very edge, typical values with a gyuto are some 10 to 12 degree on the right side, and 15 degree or more left.
    Repeat the same operation with finer stones. Deburr in between. Don't apply any pressure, the gyuto weight is all you need.

Have a look at Dave's introduction of this thread:
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-The-REAL-DEAL

I've been using the 270 Suji for several months now as a sushi chef working around 50-70 hours a week. The factory edge is closer to a 90/10 and it took a while of use and sharpening before I was able to get an edge that would hold throughout a 14 hour shift. As far as edge retention goes, it will get scary sharp for a while but can maintain usable/slightly dull for about a week or too (also highly dependent on your cutting technique.) For the price, it's an excellent knife. If you want to use it heavily, you will want to round out the spine and the choil as well as the edges around the bolster or else you'll wind up with callouses and blisters after a busy week. Overall I'd say I'm very impressed for the money I spent on it and I use it a lot to extend the lifespan of my more expensive knives.

It also takes well to forced patinas:

Thanks Max for the info. I actually bought FKH 270 gyuto the knife a week ago.
    I found this knife very reactive and have a strong smell. beside that I love this knife.

I forced the patina twice, put baking soda for 8 hours, after that i sand it until close to mirror finish. Now I love this knife!!!

It's not reactive. I used is in 10 hour shift for cutting some vegie and fish, so far have I only has a very light patina.
    Its really easy to sharpened and after thinning, the edge retention is fairly good.
    I definitely agree with you about rounding the spine and the choil!

Quote Originally Posted by maxdgad View Post
    I've been using the 270 Suji for several months now as a sushi chef working around 50-70 hours a week. The factory edge is closer to a 90/10 and it took a while of use and sharpening before I was able to get an edge that would hold throughout a 14 hour shift. As far as edge retention goes, it will get scary sharp for a while but can maintain usable/slightly dull for about a week or too (also highly dependent on your cutting technique.) For the price, it's an excellent knife. If you want to use it heavily, you will want to round out the spine and the choil as well as the edges around the bolster or else you'll wind up with callouses and blisters after a busy week. Overall I'd say I'm very impressed for the money I spent on it and I use it a lot to extend the lifespan of my more expensive knives.

It also takes well to forced patinas:

Glad to hear about that amazing edge retention. How do you sharpen it? Do you apply a single microbevel or so? Any maintenance between sharpenings?
    By the way: a spectacular patina!

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Glad to hear about that amazing edge retention. How do you sharpen it? Do you apply a single microbevel or so? Any maintenance between sharpenings?
    By the way: a spectacular patina!
    These are excatly the questions I am wondering aswell. Did you change the factory bevel from 90/10 to 70/30 ?
    Did you thin a lot?

batagor I have both a Hiromoto AS and a FKH and early on the Hiro was a more goto knife. Now that the FKH has a good patina it gets plenty of work.

Well I bought a FKH 240mm and got it in the mail today. Going to clean it down with a baking soda paste because apparently some people complain about an issue with a smell. Looking forward to walking down the road of carbon steel.

+ Reply to Thread