Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on Fujiwara FKH

Quote Originally Posted by jazzybadger View Post
    Well I bought a FKH 240mm and got it in the mail today. Going to clean it down with a baking soda paste because apparently some people complain about an issue with a smell. Looking forward to walking down the road of carbon steel.
    The smell will not last long, just build a nice natural patina and enjoy.

I have only used the FKH for a week, but so far this knife is actually the first knife I usually grab. I like the extra length on on the 270 compare to hiro (240)
    At first I really have some problem with FKH since it really has a strong smell and when I was cutting salmon, it left black color on my hand (even after I forced patina once)
    Now is way more stable, I just missed the patina... It only has a really LIGHT patina.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreezzzzz View Post
    These are excatly the questions I am wondering aswell. Did you change the factory bevel from 90/10 to 70/30 ?
    Did you thin a lot?
    Right now I have it closer to 60/40 because I use it with a lot of board contact from day to day. It's a little tougher though I'm considering adding a microbevel.

You might consider a single microbevel ā la Jon Broida. It allows you to use very low angles for the edge.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&cli...F55079F53216AB

How did you make that patina???

Quote Originally Posted by maxdgad View Post
    I've been using the 270 Suji for several months now as a sushi chef working around 50-70 hours a week. The factory edge is closer to a 90/10 and it took a while of use and sharpening before I was able to get an edge that would hold throughout a 14 hour shift. As far as edge retention goes, it will get scary sharp for a while but can maintain usable/slightly dull for about a week or too (also highly dependent on your cutting technique.) For the price, it's an excellent knife. If you want to use it heavily, you will want to round out the spine and the choil as well as the edges around the bolster or else you'll wind up with callouses and blisters after a busy week. Overall I'd say I'm very impressed for the money I spent on it and I use it a lot to extend the lifespan of my more expensive knives.

It also takes well to forced patinas:

How did you make that patina???

An update: just got a 270mm gyuto. F&F have improved a lot, it arrived even with a decent edge. Haven't noticed any sulphur smell this time. Still very reactive, but it calms down once the first patina has been set. A very pleasant, very affordable knife.

Opinion on Fujiwara FKH

I will repeat myself, with my limited knowledge, and tell you to forget FK and go masahiro virgin carbon. Better steel, only one side sharpening, exactly for you. Less hard than my Hiromotos last batches, but becomes wicked sharp, very fine grained.

I like this angle on top of the tip on the sujihiki of the photo
    Once a Japanese knife, always a Japanese knife -> Once a Carbon, always a Carbon -> Once a Honyaki, always a Honyaki <3

Sure, but a different price point.

Having recently received Benusers old 270 sujihiki I can definitly say these are a great bang for the buck. In its price range really the only contender is the Tojiro DP - but that comes with its own list of pros and cons. But if you:

-want to see if carbon is for you
    -want to acquire / try a specific knife that doesn't see a lot of use, for example a sujihiki for home use
    -want to try different knife shapes / lengths
    -while on a budget

It's just awesome. Are there better knives? Sure. But at its price it's still great. Sure, you can get a Misono or Carbonext sujihiki 'relatively' cheap as well... but they're still twice as expensive. Good luck getting a half-decent 270mm gyuto anywhere else for just 90 dollars. And at least to me they don't feel cheap in any way.

Thanks again for your kind words, but the FKH have got even better in f&f since, and the old sulphur smell problem seems to have been resolved.