Quantcast
America's Test Kitchen's Look at the Gyuto
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: America's Test Kitchen's Look at the Gyuto

America's Test Kitchen's Look at the Gyuto

anyone seen this before? haven't seen the latest season yet so I've only seen this through youtube.

=D

what do you guys think?

Eh...
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

I remember reading the review for this in cook's illustrated; the Akifusa was eliminated from the top choices solely because of it's flat french profile. I guess they just preferred curvier knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    Eh...
    +1, I'll be scratching my head over this all day!
    Do not tell me I can't, let me succeed or fail. Even a failure is a small success.

While I think their testing is pretty good, at times, the criteria they favor seems pretty subjective, almost guaranteeing that one product will win out over the others. All Clad is a perfect example. Somehow it always ends up at the top of the pile.

I'm afraid to watch it for fear of the frustration and confusion it will cause.

This was how I found out about jKnives...I bought the Masamoto based on this recommendations and have been goig further down the rabbit hole since
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

$24.95 for a knife; $136 for a serious investment. She has no idea... I think President Knyfenerd should be representing us.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Cook's Illustrated is one of the better sources of cooking and cooking products out there. However, their "testing" and "tasting" panels are quite homogenous and their preferences are fortunately stated. In this case, she notes that they like knives with belly. As long as consumers understand these preferences, it's okay.

My annoyance is that she states European and American knives have belly, which is not true. French knives as well as vintage American knives such Forgecrafts and Lamsons Goodnow have a flatter profiles. Because they pose as authoritative, this type of error is unforgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    $24.95 for a knife; $136 for a serious investment. She has no idea... I think President Knyfenerd should be representing us.
    I had no idea either until coming here. When I worked in a restaurant, the best knives where the chef's who had Globals. Everyone else had restaurant supplied knives. I had the next best knife with a Forschner (which walked!).

Even at William Sonoma and Sur La Table, $100-$150 were the serious knives. Only recently are there more expensive knives (Kramers). Oh the power of marketing and distribution.