Quantcast
Hard Boiled Eggs
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Boiled Eggs

Hard Boiled Eggs

Hello and Happy Easter. Its been a great day. good food, some family time. and I even slipped into the shop for a couple hours this afternoon.

I have a question. Every year on Easter we cook a dozen or 2 eggs. EVERY year the shells stick and by the time I get the shell off these things Im ready to throw them in the garbage. There must be something I am doing wrong. or some trick that will assure the shells will come off easily the next day.

I feel stupid for asking this question. But if I dont find out I may never enjoy a hard boiled egg again.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Blessings
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

"God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Thanks Johnny. I already make a mean soft boiled egg., and do poached good enough for my needs. Make a great omelet.. I normally dont have a problem with eggs the day they are made. Its only on Easter when they sit overnight after boiling and then need to be peeled.

Ill read through that thread again. and follow some of the links. maybe I will find my answers there./ maybe not. either way I will learn something.

Good night

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

are these eggs that need to remain shell intact?

yea. I still have a youngster and we die them and stuff. Then do the Easter thing. Hidden eggs, candy, So keeping the shells on for about 24 hrs would be best.

I have eating 6 hardboiled eggs(whites only) for about 4 weeks now.I feel the brown eggs peel easier and not super fresh eggs peel easier.It has to do with the outer membrane. I bring them to a boil,take them off the heat and let sit for 12 minutes,ice bath for a good long soak.

Don't use fresh eggs. Using fresh eggs = poor shell separation. I always buy eggs a week prior to using for hard boiled. (And farm fresh for everything else!)
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/10/t...iled-eggs.html

Use older eggs, about a week old is best. Crack them on the ends, then remove the shell from one end and shell them under a light stream of running water. The whole thing is to get the membrane under the shell off, and in older eggs the white has degraded a little* and the membrane doesn't stick to it as much. The stream of water does what every homeowner knows, it finds its way into the tiniest gap between white and membrane and the pressure increases that space. At that point it shouldn't be a problem to peel cleanly, especially for hard cooked, and even for a 4 minute egg.

*use fresh eggs for poached for the same reason, the white is firm and holds its shape with no trails.

Randy, try put the eggs in ice cold water about 3~5 minuts right after the eggs done boiled...the egg shell should come off very easy
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Ahh, This may be the heart of the problem. We buy farm fresh and almost always have them every year at Easter. So often there as fresh as a day or two out of the chicken when we get them..

Someone else told me to salt the water. Which I normally do anyways.

Thanks much for the help. I will try the water trick. as well as use old eggs next year! . I love hard boiled eggs.

+ Reply to Thread