Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Boiled Eggs

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Use A LOT of salt. Like several tablespoons in 2 quarts of water. Boil 10 minutes, drain, then cover in ice.

-AJ

Thank AJ. I will apply many of these things next time I do HB eggs!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

try this out:

Awesome Franz!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

saw that on a few other youtube vids with better examples just couldn't find the nicer ones.

In last quarters Lucky Peach Harold McGee wrote an in depth article about this.His solution is very complicated.I have the same problem as we have chickens and came across an article on pressure cookers that suggested cooking eggs in it to resolve this issue.Dubious as I was I cooked them for 3 minutes on a trivet with a couple of cm of water in the base and let it release the pressure naturally.The shells almost fell off and the eggs were perfectly hard boiled.Give it a shot.

Right before peeling, torch the shell with your torch. Makes the shell very brittle, and peel under running tepid water, comes right off, easy as can be.

Saw this in Modernist Cuisine At Home, tried it yesterday, and worked amazingly well. My eggs were dyed Thursday.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

I might try the pressure cooker eggs and the torch trick. Great tips.

I make a lot of hard boiled eggs and use a variety of supermarket eggs, and it always is hit or miss for me. Even if I use non-fresh eggs, put in baking soda, cool in ice, run under tap water etc, there are some that are easy and some that are hard it seems. Off course, freshness may still vary as it is hard to tell how old those eggs are at the supermarket, but I use the same technique for them all. The fact is that eggs vary greatly.

With that said, even though I don't care for using that blowing technique to de-shell eggs (who wants someone blowing on their egg before you eat it?), I do, however, employ it to loosen the membrane before peeling under water, and that seems to help. But again, this is only when I am eating the egg. If it is for someone else, I don't do it.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Are we talking tied Easter eggs here? If so blowing them out of the shell could leave your lips looking like . . . well - just sayin'.

If we're just talking hard boiled eggs I crack the shells the minute they come out of the pot then cool with cold water. They peal pretty easy after that. No matter how you do it you need to get under that membrane.