Where to Buy a Strop Kit?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drumjockey

Reaction score
Hope this is the right forum for this... and that this info isn't already up here somewhere-- if it is, sorry, I couldn't find it! What are some good sites to buy a strop kit from? Don't want to buy one from... you know. (They're out anyway.) I'm too new to know the reasons for all the animosity but I can smell the bad business in the water, and I'd just rather give my $ to someone who seems more reputable. Maybe I'm making an unfair assumption- and maybe I don't care to find out if it's accurate or not either:dontknow: Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm a beginner- never used one before- if that makes any difference as far as suggested products. Thanks in advance!!

I made three 16" long strops for the grand total of about $10. To be fair, I got the leather for free, and I already owned a can of contact cement.
I'll post some pics this evening if anyone is interested.

Okay sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but this thread finally killed the cat. What is the you know, the one that shall not be mentioned, etc. etc.?! I just cannot figure it out for myself, and it's driving me mad as a Hatter!

I made three 16" long strops for the grand total of about $10. To be fair, I got the leather for free, and I already owned a can of contact cement.
I'll post some pics this evening if anyone is interested.

I am definitely interested.

I have made strops from a three inch wide board from Home Depot, they have a little station that you can cut it to lenght, and glued balsa wood from the craft store. I then add some buffing compound and it works great. I think I made four for about 10 bucks.

I have full set of strops station; but, my favor strop material is "newspaper" very easy to use & working effectively!!
you can also making your own strop station
[video=youtube;g9Smlj0fNnE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Smlj0fNnE[/video]

new owner=no censorship?? hooray!

Chris (who bought his strop kit from CKTG)

Last edited:
new owner=no censorship?? hooray!

Chris (who bought his strop kit from CKTG)

booooo!!!!!!!! hissssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope it doesn't fall apart--seriously. Also hope you didn't buy it to use on a nice moritaka. :D

LOL! I troll this site to learn things about knives from from VERY educated/experinced knife aficionados. So far today I've learned that petty hatred runs rampant with some whose opinions i used to value.

Chris
(still stropping...)

I'm full of petty hatred...among other stuff...:biggrin:

Cheers!

btw, it's not without reason that i hate that f*&^ing place.

Its all good :) I've got plenty myself :spiteful: mainly for my lazy coworkers (as i sit here at work trolling.....)

In all seriousness, this site has an amazing amount of knowledge from all the posters and I look forward to learning more every day!!

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited:
LOL! I troll this site to learn things about knives from from VERY educated/experinced knife aficionados. So far today I've learned that petty hatred runs rampant with some whose opinions i used to value.

Chris
(still stropping...)

Huh?

It was a reply to the reply...its all good. Thanks for uncensoring this forum. This has gotten way off topic. I recommend the Hand American strop kit. It has done well for me.

Chris

I just placed an order with Phoenix Knife House for a replacement leather pad. They have a strop setup as well.

booooo!!!!!!!! hissssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope it doesn't fall apart--seriously. Also hope you didn't buy it to use on a nice moritaka. :D

Gee, you mean like this?

e8d860f0.jpg

This is why you glue the leather to a metal plate and put the magnets in the base like Dave did.

I didn't come up with steel plate on the pads thing, that was Eytan at Phoenix Knife House, I just sold his product.

Latest posts

Back