Quantcast
What's your ride? - Page 9
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your ride?

My daily driver is a 97 Honda civic POS, But on weekends it all about my original owner, 48k miles, 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8. I have had it all these years, and it still impresses me!

i put SKS longboards on my wife's bike..that she has ridden twice

speaking of Rivendell, i really really want a decked out Atlantis..man.

Rivendells are nice. Have a quickbeam which shares duty with the Boulder as a daily rider.

Regarding fenders - I am a believer. Prefer the aluminum honjo fenders over the plastic but they are more labor intense to install. Once on though they are usually hassle free.

Clayton, Love the Brooks saddle. I have about 10K miles on min after fifteen years. I took it off my old 1980's vintage Rossin made of Columbus steel

Yeah they are great! That being said i feel like quality has gone down with brooks. The one in the picture is from their "select" line when I first put it on. They darken to the color of the regular honey model. The select is supposed to last longer than the standard line. So far it seems true, have logged about 6K on both now (have one on the boulder now too) and they are still good. The previous b.17 standard model lasted 6 months and then it was toast, whereas previously I got easily 3 years out of them.

I had hanjo fenders on my Rock Lobster touring rig, loved them, but like the plastic more on my Surly, as she takes a beating, and bike theft is a huge issue here. The nicer looking the bike, the more chance something on it going to walk. It's why mine is covered with stickers, all my parts are vintage (work great, but look crappy to the punk ass kids around here) and I keep it dirty. I also haven't replaced my bar tape since 2009, and it shows, hehe

Not that my bike isn't nice, or isn't my baby, but after a grand or so in vintage components, I just don't trust anyone. I'm on light number 3 since Christmas. They always walk. Why I duct taped mine on. Have had it the longest
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Hear you on theft. Luckily I can take mine in at work so there is little risk. If I parked them outside there is no way I'd ride them.

I agree on brooks. I have a few laying around from different time frames, the recent I ones from the past ten years or so are just not the same. I'm sure it's due to increase in intreast following the fixie trend, and quality suffered due to more demand. It's sad really. I rode a B17 from the early 70's on both my longer tours. It was NOS when I first bought it, an after a few smaller tours leading up to my southern trans, it broke in nicely.

Again, I don't keep it on my commuter due to theft issues.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

yeah it is a bummer. It annoys me that I have to pay more for their select model just to get the quality that their most basic model used be.
    They also sold to Selle Royal, which I think had a lot to do with it. We got fancier packaging and free little saddle wrench (if any one wants a spare let me know) and proofhide in return for a downgraded saddle at an increased cost.

The Berthoud leather saddles are amazing btw. Super nice and thick leather. Expensive too though.

I do have a Cardiff leather I put on from time to time when I hit the road for more than 100 miles or so, not as quality as older Brooks, but on par with the current, at half the price