No Contrast Handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry

Reaction score
This is quickly becoming my favorite look. I like the continuity of the handle and ferrule being from the same block. Just wondering what ya'll think?

IMG_3714.jpg

Mike, that is a beautiful ironwood handle!! I like this handle design too; only if I has a very nice highly figured burl wood block & will use ivory, musk ox or mother of pearl for spacer.......wide metal spacer is little too shiny for me

I love it. I'd like it even more with a smaller, almost invisible spacer. Maybe something in black. If I ever get off my butt and have you do the handle on a petty I have, maybe we can talk about that. Looks great though

Agree with smaller spacer, maybe thinner with black borders instead of white.

Glen

I like this look a lot. I agree with previous comments, a smaller spacer with black borders would be nice.

Looks like I'm in the minority, but I prefer a more traditional contrasting material for the ferrule. Although, if you're someone who has custom handles on lots of knives, then one like this would make for some nice variation.

Believe it or not, I almost went this way on my first custom. Tend to agree with the others about thinning the spacer. It's just too overpowering in this one. Love the concept though.

Beautiful work as usual...I tend to favor the contrasting ferrule, but it would not stop me from buying this one.

I have always made them with thick spacers, guess I need to try a slim one.
Since I am asking for opinions how do you guys feel about the handles with short ferrules or guards like this one?

IMG_3313.jpg

I have always made them with thick spacers, guess I need to try a slim one.
Since I am asking for opinions how do you guys feel about the handles with short ferrules or guards like this one?

This looks sweet. I dig it a lot. I think you could use lots of materials for the small piece and it would look great.

I like the look of the short ferrule very much

Love the short ferrule especially if its thinner and metal.

I'm not sure. I think I might like it more with a matching end cap to give it a little balance.

I still would like some contrast. But for me as long as the grain is simple and works and it doesn't have too much burl, one type of wood could work.

I LOVE IT.......Something different is always welcome in my tastes.

That KOA with the short blonde ferrule is one of my all time favorites.

I prefer a contrasting ferrule, and if we're continuing the grain from handle to ferrule I think the wider spacer is nicer than a thin one. It's beautiful wood any which way though :)

Wow,
Great intro to the site for me! Both really nice handles. I actually feel that the first has nice proportions. Removing the red spacers would do it for me. I think it would come closer to achieving the simple look you describe. Maybe the reds frame the metal and celebrate it too much? Don't know, but when i squint, i lose them and it reads even better. Second one is gorgeous.
Looking forward to more of this...
Nice work!

Latest posts

Back