Gentlemen and ladies! I need your opinions.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
I will be designing a series of carbon steel butcher knives in O1, with throw back profiles and handles.

This is an opinion thread, not so much as a design thread. I will be designing 5 pieces, in O1, bolsterless, nice wood handles, and simple pins. These will be cost effective (read affordable to damn near everybody) I am not looking to turn big profit on these, so they are going to be attractive to a broad group of users.

My thoughts are:

1. Bull nose butcher
2. Scimitar
3. Boning
4. Chef
5. Fillet
6. Maybe a utility/petty

I would like to know what you would like to see, in terms of general length, height, spine thickness, maybe geometry.

So, lets have it... What are your thoughts?

1,2, or 3.

9-10 inch bullnosed butcher, something along in the lines of vintage american, somewhat convexed blade face, i hate the fact that the wide blade face sticks to meat all the time when portioning.
12 inch scimitar, something along the lines of victorinox scimitar
160mm stiff boning, something in between a standard western stiff boning knife and a tojiro dp gokujo boning knife

these are what i'd like to see..... =D

A boning knife with a narrow blade like the old Dexter carbons would be sweet. I like the guard on the Gokujo - it's a good safety feature for cold hands and meat.

got nothing but good stuff to say about what you do for your chef and petty knives so....

=D

fillet knives? not really into them as much, i like debas....

12" scimitar, not too wide of a blade road, with a bit of substantial handle for good leverage- not too dainty
and at Least 9" and very thin/narrow filet knife with a little bit of flex too it.
at least these are what I've personally been looking for...

It's great to see the scimitar getting some love. It's quite possible I'm blind but I rarely see these discussed here.

Don't have any real opinions, but I'll definitely get a boning knife and a bullnose. If the prices are as good as you say :)

As far as a boning knife is concerned, are you considering a honesuki or a traditional Western désosseur?

I would love to answer your question, but I don't have the foggiest!! Would you have a photo of the Western désosseur?

he means this.

well I was going to post a picture but, it says i can't post attachments.

Ben means a standard European or American style boning knife.

I've seen some who were explicitly flexible, but that seems a little hazardous to me.
The relative flex should come from the thinnesss, not from the alloy, I guess.

I like the boner but it could be a little longer and a tad more flexible.
Devin's scimitar in the middle is a nice width and length. It's a little narrower which makes it more nimble. Although it could use a handle that offers more protection for your hand. The heel has bit me on more than one occasion.

The down side to narrower is it shortens the knife's life span if used and sharpened often. Like the scimitar on the bottom, it's been sharpened a lot with a True Hone two wheel sharpener.

The boning knife you posted is along my thought line, and Scotts scimitar's. I am looking for some old school pics, to get handle ideas from.

What are your thoughts on wood vs. synthetics?

Also wood a steel at HRC 60 be too much for this kind of project? I was considering O1

i love me burlap micarta or even g10 for synthetics.

but wood is always awesome.

Pierre already makes an amazing western boning knife, why not something different?

Back