Directing the Choir

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevinT

Reaction score
Living in a small town has it's advantages and disadvantages. My wife is the organist for the church here in our small town. Because there is not a lot of musical people here, she is also the accompanist for the church choir. She loves to sing and play so by marriage, I have to be involved with music.

One day she thought it would be funny to tell our local church leader that I would love to lead the church choir. I would love it if they were all pro's and made me look like a genius. We do sound okay sometimes and leading the choir keeps me out of trouble and I have a few more points with the wife.

Yesterday, being Easter, we prepared our most difficult number of the year. We practiced for hours hoping it would be a great performance for the regulars and also those that would be visiting.

They invited the local seminary teacher to speak for the big meeting. Things were going great and the choir was anxious to perform. We thought the ST was about to wrap things up so we all got our music ready, then he redirected his thoughts and went for another ten minutes, this pattern repeated itself untill we all were hoping that we would die.

We were all so frazzled by the time he was done, I knew that it would be difficult to perform. Also, given the age of some of the choir members, and the heavy load of meds that they take, we had 3 ladies that were ready to pee themselves. When we stood up to sing, my strongest alto ran out to the restroom and I could see the panic in several of the choir members faces. The other 2 ran out as soon as we were done singing.

Because everyone in the congregation is glad that we are taking care of the choir duties and they don't have to, they were very kind and generous with their compliments dispite our less than stellar performance.

I had a talk with the Bishop after the meeting to make sure this never happens again, although I'm sure it will happen next year if not sooner.

Love and respect

Hoss

Great story Hoss. Next year make sure everybody suits up with some adult diapers first!

Custom baton made from local elk horn and wenge wood.

Hoss

001.JPG

Almost wet my pants myself reading this. Thank you Devin, hope you had a great Easter

So Funny Devin! Did you by chance sing Randy Newman's "Short People"?

Nope, Elvis, "How Great Thou Art".

Hoss

Back