Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Time for a new gyuto

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    toronto, Canada
    Posts
    10

    Time for a new gyuto

    Hey guys, need help choosing a new workhorse gyuto for work. Prefer carbon to stainless


    What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
    gyuto 240 or 210

    Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
    replacing a shun classic 210

    What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics-
    Edge Quality/Retention- this is a primary concern, feel the shun is lacking in quality and definatly retention of the edge.
    Ease of Use-
    Comfort-

    What grip do you use?
    pinch

    What kind of cutting motion do you use?
    push/pull but occasional chopping for herbs

    Where do you store them?
    saya's in an ultimate edge bag

    Have you ever oiled a handle?
    yes

    What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
    Boo's wood


    For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
    Depends on the knife, ceramic rod or strop

    Have they ever been sharpened?
    yes

    What is your budget?
    400$

    What do you cook and how often?
    work in a busy italian restaurant and cook often at home

    Hey guys sorry for the repost


    LOCATION
    What country are you in? Canada (toronto)

    KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in? cabon 210mm gyuto (very cramped line, 240 will probably be too large)

    Are you right or left handed? Right

    Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese (wa) handle? Wa

    What length of knife are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 210mm

    Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no.) No

    What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife (i.e., “I’m not spending one more euro/pence/penny/peso/yen more than this”)? 500$

    KNIFE USE
    Where do you primarily intend to use this knife? Work

    At home or a professional environment? Professional, busy kitchen, italian food.

    How often? 6 days a week, 3-4 hours of prep daily

    What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for? veg and herbs

    What knife, if anything, are you replacing? Shun classic 210mm and moritaka 210 mm blue

    Is your primary grip when you hold your knife a “pinch” grip
    ? Pinch grip
    What cutting motions do you primarily use? push pull but ocassional choppingfor herbs and garlic

    What improvements do you want from your current knife? Both knives im replacing lack edge quality and retention. I need something that is capable of getting really sharp and staying sharp longer than what i currently use.

    Better aesthetics dont care really

    Comfort since the amount of work it wll get it would be nice if it was light–
    Ease of Use would like something easy to sharpen and less wedging would be awesome
    Edge Retention right now the moritaka can get pretty sharp but it wont last more than a shift, so anything better than that would be awesome

    KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Is it very important that your knife require only minimal daily maintenance? daily maintenance doesnt bother me, usually can squeeze in a touch up on a natural stone after work.

    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber (e.g., Sani-Tuff) or synthetic cutting board boos wood cutting boad
    Do you sharpen your knives on your own using any type of whetstone? yes chosera 500,1k,3k,5k, and a few natural stones

    If “yes,” are you looking to purchase more specific products for this knife? no?

    If “no,” will you have your knives professionally sharpened? no i do



    SPECIAL REQUESTS
    Country of origin –
    Other –
    Last edited by Jim; 04-02-2013 at 11:39 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member K-Fed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Palm City, FL
    Posts
    765
    With a budget of ~400 you're getting pretty close to a custom from one of the up n' coming makers on this forum. That is the route that I would personally go. But for much less there are many good carbon steel gyuto options out there. Do you prefer western or wa handles?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    toronto, Canada
    Posts
    10
    Any specific customs? I prefer wa but its not set in stone

  4. #4
    I know that you've provided information to a number of these questions, but would you mind completing this revised Questionnaire?

    We've been working on this for a little while now and may help refine what recommendations the members will be able to give you. And, if you wouldn't mind providing a little feedback on your experience with this Questionnaire, it would be greatly appreciated.

    ----------

    LOCATION
    What country are you in?
    KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in? E.g., Chef’s Knife (or Gyuto), Slicer (or Sujihiki), Boning Knife, Utility Knife (or Petty), Bread Knife, Paring Knife, Yanagiba, Deba, Usuba, Meat Cleaver, Vegetable Cleaver?
    Are you right or left handed?
    Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese (wa) handle?
    What length of knife are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no.)
    What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife (i.e., “I’m not spending one more euro/pence/penny/peso/yen more than this”)?
    KNIFE USE
    Where do you primarily intend to use this knife?

    At home or a professional environment? (Please feel free to specify what type of work environment, e.g., catering, restaurant, butchery, seafood.)
    How often? (Please feel free to specify how many hours a day, and days per week.)

    What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
    What knife, if anything, are you replacing?
    Is your primary grip when you hold your knife a “pinch” grip (i.e., holding the knife in front of the handle with your thumb and index finger on opposite sides of the knife)? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) (Yes or no.)
    What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used, e.g., rock chop, rock mince, push cut, pull cut.)
    What improvements do you want from your current knife? Please identify all improvements that you would like this knife to have. (If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

    Better aesthetics (e.g., a rustic knife – e.g., hammered finish, or darkened (kurouchi) blade; satin finish; mirror finish; nicer steel pattern (e.g., layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel); different handle color/pattern/ shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance) –
    Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material (e.g., nicer type of wood or synthetic material); better handle shape (e.g., shorter or taller height, thicker or thinner, shorter or longer length); rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance (i.e., please identify how you like the knife to be balanced, whether toward the blade, in front of the handle, or toward the handle) –
    Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen) –
    Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening based on your expected use above) –

    KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Is it very important that your knife require only minimal daily maintenance? (i.e., only need to wash and dry after use, occasional sharpening) (Yes or no.)
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber (e.g., Sani-Tuff) or synthetic cutting board (e.g., any type of plastic, Hi-Soft, etc.)? (Yes or no.)
    Do you sharpen your knives on your own using any type of whetstone? (Yes or no.)

    If “yes,” are you looking to purchase more specific products for this knife? (Yes or no.)

    If “no,” will you have your knives professionally sharpened? (Yes or no.)
    If “no,” are you interested in learning how to sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
    If “yes” to the question immediately above, what is the absolute maximum amount of money you would be willing to put toward sharpening products?

    SPECIAL REQUESTS
    Country of origin –
    Other –
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  5. #5
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...wa-gyuto.html#

    Notice it's currently out of stock, but Jon expects more within the next month. I know cause I'm on the list

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I know that you've provided information to a number of these questions, but would you mind completing this revised Questionnaire?

    We've been working on this for a little while now and may help refine what recommendations the members will be able to give you. And, if you wouldn't mind providing a little feedback on your experience with this Questionnaire, it would be greatly appreciated.

    ----------

    LOCATION
    What country are you in?
    KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in? E.g., Chef’s Knife (or Gyuto), Slicer (or Sujihiki), Boning Knife, Utility Knife (or Petty), Bread Knife, Paring Knife, Yanagiba, Deba, Usuba, Meat Cleaver, Vegetable Cleaver?
    Are you right or left handed?
    Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese (wa) handle?
    What length of knife are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no.)
    What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife (i.e., “I’m not spending one more euro/pence/penny/peso/yen more than this”)?
    KNIFE USE
    Where do you primarily intend to use this knife?

    At home or a professional environment? (Please feel free to specify what type of work environment, e.g., catering, restaurant, butchery, seafood.)
    How often? (Please feel free to specify how many hours a day, and days per week.)

    What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
    What knife, if anything, are you replacing?
    Is your primary grip when you hold your knife a “pinch” grip (i.e., holding the knife in front of the handle with your thumb and index finger on opposite sides of the knife)? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) (Yes or no.)
    What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used, e.g., rock chop, rock mince, push cut, pull cut.)
    What improvements do you want from your current knife? Please identify all improvements that you would like this knife to have. (If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

    Better aesthetics (e.g., a rustic knife – e.g., hammered finish, or darkened (kurouchi) blade; satin finish; mirror finish; nicer steel pattern (e.g., layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel); different handle color/pattern/ shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance) –
    Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material (e.g., nicer type of wood or synthetic material); better handle shape (e.g., shorter or taller height, thicker or thinner, shorter or longer length); rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance (i.e., please identify how you like the knife to be balanced, whether toward the blade, in front of the handle, or toward the handle) –
    Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen) –
    Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening based on your expected use above) –

    KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Is it very important that your knife require only minimal daily maintenance? (i.e., only need to wash and dry after use, occasional sharpening) (Yes or no.)
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber (e.g., Sani-Tuff) or synthetic cutting board (e.g., any type of plastic, Hi-Soft, etc.)? (Yes or no.)
    Do you sharpen your knives on your own using any type of whetstone? (Yes or no.)

    If “yes,” are you looking to purchase more specific products for this knife? (Yes or no.)

    If “no,” will you have your knives professionally sharpened? (Yes or no.)
    If “no,” are you interested in learning how to sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
    If “yes” to the question immediately above, what is the absolute maximum amount of money you would be willing to put toward sharpening products?

    SPECIAL REQUESTS
    Country of origin –
    Other –
    Well I can say this much, I like this questionnaire a whole lot more than the original one. I'm not the least bit knife savvy (yet) but I really like the additional questions. Seems much more detailed and better equipped to hone in one the perfect knife for one's needs.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Benuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Amstelveen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,245
    I wasn't aware the new questionnaire had already been adopted.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    I wasn't aware the new questionnaire had already been adopted.
    It hasn't. As you can clearly see, it's not a sticky. I just asked that it be used and to get feedback from the user.

    Do you have a problem with me asking that it be used?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  9. #9
    Senior Member Benuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Amstelveen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,245
    It's not very elegant towards those involved in the discussion that's still going on.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    With a budget of ~400 you're getting pretty close to a custom from one of the up n' coming makers on this forum. That is the route that I would personally go. But for much less there are many good carbon steel gyuto options out there. Do you prefer western or wa handles?
    How close is pretty close?
    Need 100-200 more?


    OP, you want a workhorse and carbon? in the up to 300 bucks range is all you need.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •