Quantcast
Time for a new gyuto - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    I wasn't aware the new questionnaire had already been adopted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    It's not very elegant towards those involved in the discussion that's still going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    It hasn't. As you can clearly see, it's not a sticky. I just asked that it be used and to get feedback from the user.

Do you have a problem with me asking that it be used?
    If the goal here is to assist a new member with his knife purchase than these additional questions should be helpful & welcome. There is a thread already specifically about the questions and tuning it up, so lets keep comments about the questionnaire there, ok.

Gengetsu 240mm (semi) stainless gyuto from Jon @ JKI. In budget, great great cutter, comes with saya, great edge retention, workhorse build.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Gengetsu 240mm (semi) stainless gyuto from Jon @ JKI. In budget, great great cutter, comes with saya, great edge retention, workhorse build.
    Unfortunately, it's out of stock.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Currently, yes. Jon will get more. And it will be in stock faster than a custom is made which was also suggested.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

You are in Canada - get a Rodrigue mid-tech - have money left over.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Currently, yes. Jon will get more. And it will be in stock faster than a custom is made which was also suggested.
    That's true. I just didn't want to give the impression that it will be in stock in the very immediate future.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

i'm with mike9

Hey guys sorry i did the updated version it's in the original post

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    You are in Canada - get a Rodrigue mid-tech - have money left over.
    They look pretty good, how do they perform? i've never heard of that steel before.

I'll second the Kochi though I would likely choose the V2 kurouchi. About time for Jon to restock!

Cheers!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Choice 1: Get on the wait list for Marko Tsourkan's gyuto. Light weight without feeling delicate, thin behind the edge so it doesn't wedge, tested and tuned for a professional kitchen so has solid edge retention, limited reactivity. Only downside is wait time. I have a practice gyuto, and if I need to prep more than one onion, this is my go to knife. It feels great though veggies and when it contacts the board.

Choice 2: Pierre Rodrigue's mid tech. Based on the reviews, this should be a really nice knife. Thin and lightweight, should be fun through veggies. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Choice 3: Sakai Yusuke white steel 210mm. Also a thin lightweight knife, and a really good deal with its fit and finish and cutting ability. One review noted that it had limited reactivity, which is nice. Has a little more belly than the above choices, which might be desirable given herbs chopping requirement. I have a 240mm stainless extra harden and used the extra thin too. A 210mm white with a custom mhenry handle is calling my name though. That would be in your budget too.

+ Reply to Thread