Quantcast
Time for a new gyuto - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new gyuto

I would recommend a Gesshin Ginga 210 Carbon Steel http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-wa-gyuto.html or a Gengetsu http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-wa-gyuto.html

I have the 240 Ginga. While the edge does not last nearly as long as Mario CPM 154 gyuto that I had, it certainly wedges a lot less. It's thin knife (but does not flex) that's very thin behind the edge, so, even when it's not very sharp, it still cuts very well. It has excellent balance in the hand, and very light. It's also only slightly reactive.

I've used a Gengetsu and it's a sturdier knife, but still does not wedge much at all, very solid in the hand, gets sharp and has very good edge retention based on my limited experience with it.

Do you want a stiff knife? Or, are you okay with some flex in the blade?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

if I were you, I'll take Gengetsu Semi Stainless 210mm Gyuto at B/S/T while it still available!!and think no more!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Yeah some flex isn't a big issue

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    if I were you, I'll take Gengetsu Semi Stainless 210mm Gyuto at B/S/T while it still available!!and think no more!!
    Does buying a new knife means one stops thinking about other new ones? I always think it will, but it never seems to work that way!

The OP's original request was for carbon--some of the above recommendations (even if they are great knives) don't seem to meet that requirement. (I tend to think of semi-stainless as more stainless than carbon, but it may depend on the steel.) He also stated that edge retention is crucial. I would think the Moritake in Blue would have pretty good edge retention. I'll leave it to others to recommend something that would be better.

Although the only "semi-stainless" knives I currently own are a CarboNext and a TKC, these two knives (supposedly the same steel) tend to lean more toward carbon than the stainless knives I've owned (Mario CPM154 Gyuto, Global, Sakai Takayuki, Richmond Fanatic) - the feel, sharpness, edge retention are closer to carbon in general than stainless. I will say that the Mario CPM154 I had had very, very good edge retention, but, again, it's not a carbon knife.

Also, as we've covered here in other threads, Moritakas are not consistently made. Nonetheless, the OP's lack of edge retention with his Moritaka could be a result of a number of things.

Although I've not used one, several people I've communicated with here really love their Heiji knives. It's a little more than the OP's price range, but not by much.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

What do you guys think of the kono white 2's? I went to the local store today and they had a 240 that looked really good. They are also getting in yoshikane sld's in the next few weeks what are those like?

White is not the king of edge retention (blue is generally better in that regard, but the Kono whites are very nice knives). Can't say anything about the Yoshikanes.

Quote Originally Posted by toddnmd View Post
    The OP's original request was for carbon--some of the above recommendations (even if they are great knives) don't seem to meet that requirement. (I tend to think of semi-stainless as more stainless than carbon, but it may depend on the steel.) He also stated that edge retention is crucial. I would think the Moritake in Blue would have pretty good edge retention. I'll leave it to others to recommend something that would be better.
    I think of semi stainless more like carbon than stainless. As in it tends to sharpen like a carbon knife and takes an edge like one. And Moritakas are a whole other can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_g View Post
    What do you guys think of the kono white 2's? I went to the local store today and they had a 240 that looked really good. They are also getting in yoshikane sld's in the next few weeks what are those like?
    White #2 isn't going to knock your socks off in the edge retention department. If you like the Kono an HD series would suit you better most likely.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

if you want better edge retention steel, you should looking for white#1, blue#1, blue supe & SLD(semi-steel); however, in exchange for more brittle & less tough edge than white#2 & Blue#2
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!