Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ginsanko tanakas on ebay

ginsanko tanakas on ebay

anybody tried these? they seem like a bargain. i know the blue steel tanakas with damascus are popular, just curious if anybody has experience with these. might be a good first j knife recommendation or first wa handle j knife atleast.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-kit...item3a7f0cf7b3

I was looking at these on metalmaster-ww not too long ago, but was turned off by the iron cladding. I wonder if there's a reason for cladding a stainless steel in iron.

I never used tanakas ginsan-ko gyuto, but I assume it has very similar F/F as tanakas blue#2. ginsan-ko(Silver 3) steel is another Japan super steel: stainless, cut & sharpening like carbon, not as chipping as vg10. much better stainless steel than vg10,IMO!! ginsan-ko(Silver 3) & 19c27 are very similar steel!! I do like my Konosuke ginsan-ko gyuto......
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I was looking at these on metalmaster-ww not too long ago, but was turned off by the iron cladding. I wonder if there's a reason for cladding a stainless steel in iron.
    iron cladding around thin piece ginsan-ko(Silver 3)steel is much cheaper than mono ginsan-ko blade.....
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Seems fairly pointless/crazy, as far as care, to clad a stainless knife in iron.

Uuhhmmm, yes, I'll take the knife that is harder to get less sharp and is more reactive, thank you.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Iirc the cladding is actually stainless, and these knives are more "mighty" than the blue steel variant.

timthebeaver, have you tried them?

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    Seems fairly pointless/crazy, as far as care, to clad a stainless knife in iron.

Uuhhmmm, yes, I'll take the knife that is harder to get less sharp and is more reactive, thank you.
    tanakas wants keep the knives' price down. stainless san-mai is more difficult/taking more time to made & much expensive!! stainless san-mai or mono ginsan-ko(Silver 3) knife will cost you around $300~400.

the hiro g3 knives are fairly cheap and are not clad

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    Iirc the cladding is actually stainless, and these knives are more "mighty" than the blue steel variant.
    no, very sure is "Nashiji finished soft iron and Japanese Ginsanko steel"!!! information from Japan's website!!