ginsanko tanakas on ebay

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at these on metalmaster-ww not too long ago, but was turned off by the iron cladding. I wonder if there's a reason for cladding a stainless steel in iron.

I never used tanakas ginsan-ko gyuto, but I assume it has very similar F/F as tanakas blue#2. ginsan-ko(Silver 3) steel is another Japan super steel: stainless, cut & sharpening like carbon, not as chipping as vg10. much better stainless steel than vg10,IMO!! ginsan-ko(Silver 3) & 19c27 are very similar steel!! I do like my Konosuke ginsan-ko gyuto......

I was looking at these on metalmaster-ww not too long ago, but was turned off by the iron cladding. I wonder if there's a reason for cladding a stainless steel in iron.

iron cladding around thin piece ginsan-ko(Silver 3)steel is much cheaper than mono ginsan-ko blade.....

Seems fairly pointless/crazy, as far as care, to clad a stainless knife in iron.

Uuhhmmm, yes, I'll take the knife that is harder to get less sharp and is more reactive, thank you.

Iirc the cladding is actually stainless, and these knives are more "mighty" than the blue steel variant.

Seems fairly pointless/crazy, as far as care, to clad a stainless knife in iron.

Uuhhmmm, yes, I'll take the knife that is harder to get less sharp and is more reactive, thank you.

tanakas wants keep the knives' price down. stainless san-mai is more difficult/taking more time to made & much expensive!! stainless san-mai or mono ginsan-ko(Silver 3) knife will cost you around $300~400.

Iirc the cladding is actually stainless, and these knives are more "mighty" than the blue steel variant.

no, very sure is "Nashiji finished soft iron and Japanese Ginsanko steel"!!! information from Japan's website!!

the hiromoto is full ginsanko.

but the thing is, Tanaka is a small knife maker compared to hiromoto which is a bigger knife making company. costs and profit margins are definitely different for both of them.

A little off topic, but is Tanaka's damascus real, or more just on the surface?

i sent the metalworks guy a few questions, including whether or not the cladding is stainless.

Metalmaster is notorious for not replying to emails.

The cladding is definitely stainless.

The fit and finish is definitely "rustic"

the hiro g3 knives are fairly cheap and are not clad

I can't find information about hiromoto g3. I'm not 100% sure, but I guess about hand made vs. machine thing?? the tanakas' handle fitting, iron clad & kanji look like hand made to me. on the other hand, hiromoto's full tang Black Staminawood handle, printed kanji & Dimples on blade all made by machine...:2cents:

I'll second that the cladding on the knife is stainless. Fit and finish left much to be desired. Handle had a rough finish. A problem with my knife was somewhat wavy towards the edge, but not on the edge. I've put a fair bit of sweat to thin out the knife, cleaning up the waviness. The steel gets very sharp and holds a sharp edge for a long time...

Metalmaster is notorious for not replying to emails.

The cladding is definitely stainless.

The fit and finish is definitely "rustic"

just copy & past from Metalmaster's web page

" Material

Nashiji finished soft iron and Japanese Ginsanko steel
·Surprising sharpness!!!

*the very hardness ,HRC62over
*Double edge blade ,,hand forged!!"

Thanks chinacats!

cclin -- i'm not arguing with the ebay description, but if you look at some of his other listings and his website, it seems there might be some information lost in translation. English definitely isn't his strong suit.

OK! I re-check few Japan's web site & none of them mention what kind of cladding(soft iron or stainless) Mr.Tanakas(田中一之刃物 誠貴作) used!! so, I'm not so sure now!! I may wrong......

I have had one for several years now and it hasn't rusted. I have treated it as a stainless knife, I have ground on the cladding behind the edge with stones to thin it and left it open to the air without oiling and it hasn't rusted. Where I live carbon steel will rust quickly if you don't apply oil when storing it.

The edge is very sharp and thin at the edge. Above this where the cladding is, may not be as thin as some people would like. I personally found the finish of the area between the actual G-3 at the edge and the nashiji finished portion to be somewhat coarse, so I have been grinding it finer with my sharpening stones.

G-3 seems to be very highly regarded by the Japanese, seems like most of the knives in this steel are always more expensive than in the other steels. I don't use this knife very often so I can't speak to edge retention.

I have had many correspondences with Shigeki San. I will ask him.

I highly recommend any Tanaka product, as they are 100% handmade with traditional methods by a terrific family.

The Tanakas I've used we're top notch performers. I remember one being a tad "grippy", but man do they cut!

I just bought a 240 gyuto. I'll let you guys know how it is when I get it. Quite a steal at $130 if you ask me.

Back