Does anyone know or be familar with ceramic knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Zhang

Reaction score
Does anyone know or be familar with ceramic knives?

How is it?Do you like them?

Hi Jack and welcome! No experience with ceramic, sorry!

Never used one. Never wedge it in a bone. Never drop it. Put one up for sale here and I'm willing to bet I collect my 401k before you cash in on it.

Have a Ceramic parer and utility, get used for citrus and by guests who I know won't wipe down carbon and I don't want to keep taking the knife back to wipe it. Dropping and bones are often mentioned about ceramic knives but not with other knives that wouldn't fare well, a ceramic might break but a shig could go through your foot.....

My knives are too sharp for my children to use (six and eight YO daughters) so I picked up a Chocera 6" utility knife with pretty blue handle. Its light, not too pointy, not too sharp and has a small enough handle for their hands. Out of the box I'd give it a 4 out of 10 in terms of sharpness. It's laughable compaired to what many people on this forum would considered sharp. Plus the geometry, handle and balance aren't anything more than entry-level department store at best. I made a little sheath out of plastic cutting board but in our house we call it a Saya, Hight!

I have one and considered selling it since I never use it any longer. Sentimental value keeps me attached to it though.

I have one and don't really like it. I bought it before learning how to sharpen 1/2 decent, and before getting some good quality steel...so I thought it was pretty sharp, but not so much now. Also, the blades are quite short, which I found to be increasingly annoying. Finally, incredibly fragile...I barely touched the edge to the lip of a bowl in my sink when washing it and got a sizeable chip for my trouble.

OK, one more: cannot be sharpened at home (maybe somebody here could do it?).

I only use ceramic knife for cutting fruits, it won't leave any metal smell or brown the fruit!! I only recommend Kyocera ceramic knives.... Kyocera does very nice service; they will fix chip & sharpen knives for you lifetime & pay only cost of shipping.

I tried one. My wife broke it, and not soon enough.

I've had a Kyocera for a long time. It was a gift something of a novelty or me . It gets used a couple times a year. Sharpening it will be a challenge , best accomplished with diamond plates, and like all knives, they will dull... and chip, and maybe crack.

I have a Chinese (Shenzhen) paring knife. It's pretty sharp, and should stay that way for a while. It didn't cost much, so if it gets dropped and breaks, or chips, it wouldn't upset me that much. It's a little thicker than I would like, but probably needs that for strength.

Back