Bevel size???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreezzzzz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently bought my first few J-knives. A Fujiwara FKH sujihiki, a carbonnext petty and a misono parer. I noticed they all have a tiny bevel OOB. I can't really get them sharp. Am I supposed to keep these tiny bevels or should I try to improve them. I am using Naniwa Chosera stones. 400 / 1000 / 3000 / 5000. I am still learning how to sharpen properly. I bought these knives to train myself in sharpening asymetric bevels and carbon steel.

kind regards,
André

They always start out tiny and obtuse. No need to do anything drastic to them, just lower them eventually over time through regular sharpening. Practice practice practice.

I spent about 10 mins typing a response then accidentally deleted it so I'll shorten this one. I'd use the 1000 Chosera and magic marker trick and match the stock bevels then go 3000 or 5000. When you are more confident I'd move down to the 400 and start there and perhaps make the bevels a little bigger. OOTB edges are very inconsistent, some are great, other are horrible. My Carbonext had an awful OOTB edge

Tiny bevels don't always equal lesser or under-performing edges. A very thin, or very short knife (Konosuke and a parer, for example) will have steep angles and still very small looking bevels, because of geometry. To be honest, my bevels seem to be pretty small, but according to some fancy bevel calculator I used a while back, my angles are approximately 12-14 degrees, if I remember correctly. I'm not a measurer, so I can't be certain, but it seemed pretty close to me.

Thanks all,

The Fujiwara Fkh and Misono Swedish steel were so dull OOB. Guess I thought it had to do something with the tiny bevels. I just like a big shiny bevel :).
The Fujiwara almost looked like a single bevel knife!! I will try the 1000 with magic marker again. If I start just a few mm above the shoulder of the bevel and keep sharpening in that position I will form a burr, right?
As you can read, I probably just have to practise my sharpening skills while I am fairly new at it.:D

Here's a vid I made recently, maybe it can be of some help.

[video=youtube_share;dW_sAqpVmug]http://youtu.be/dW_sAqpVmug[/video]

Nice video ThEorY. Learning a lot watching you guys sharpen.

If I start just a few mm above the shoulder of the bevel and keep sharpening in that position I will form a burr, right?
No, you will thin behind the edge. To form a burr, you will have to reach the very edge. Verify with the Magic Marker Trick or compare the scratch pattern.

No, you will thin behind the edge. To form a burr, you will have to reach the very edge. Verify with the Magic Marker Trick or compare the scratch pattern.

Who says thinning the knive is hard, forming a burr that is the hard part!!
Thanks again. I will practise some more on my recently "thinned" Wüsthof :lol2:

Who says thinning the knive is hard, forming a burr that is the hard part!!
Thanks again. I will practise some more on my recently "thinned" Wüsthof :lol2:
Please be aware these J-knives and especially the Misono are VERY convexed. They start e.g. a few millimeters above the edge @6 degree, and the final edge is @17 degree. Your Wüsthof has a straight edge of a few millimeters.

Back