Quantcast
oiling board with wanlut oil, do i need to worry about patron allergies? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: oiling board with wanlut oil, do i need to worry about patron allergies?

I use grapeseed, no rancidity, no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I use grapeseed, no rancidity, no issues.
    Do you know if this grapeseed oil is better allergy-wise? Or is this even a non-issue even with walnut oil?

did a quick googling and there are people who are allergic to grapeseed oil.

http://www.healthypages.co.uk/forum/...-seed-oil.html

can't really say much, other than just use mineral oil. cheap, effective, readily available and isn't allergic to people.

and yes i understand your position with dependence to petroleum products. but oh well, can't really escape from it this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    By the way, I admire the 'refuse' stance on mineral oil even though I admit that's what I've got too. Not so sure if much attention is given to wider issues like this on KKF, we're so into our knives. Someone commented that if all the people who use mineral oil for boards in the world stopped it wouldn't make one iota of difference. Yet, on the other hand there's concern for things like the tiny possibility of a cutting board with grapeseed oil causing an allergic reaction with a customer. I'm sure if we all used grapeseed oil it wouldn't make much difference to diners. Both issues may be important.
    True!

practically any natural oil you can think of can be allergic. just gotta find one that's the least allergic of the bunch.

i've even checked linseed oil and i've found that that too can make certain people have allergic reactions.

linseed oil is from flax seeds and is food safe. might be a cheaper option.

tung oil is another good option, takes forever to cure (the pure stuff!), and again can cause allergic reactions for people with nut allergies.

i find it odd that in my country barely anyone i know has any food allergies. only folks that i do know that do are pure caucasian or part caucasian or something or other.

I would stick with mineral oil and beeswax. The chance of an allergic reaction is very small, but it's possible. I'd rather eliminate it as a potential worry.

also googled bee's wax, also can be potentially allergic.

everything's freakin' allergic. too many worries. sheesh.

i've met germans, americans, french, spanish, belgian, scottish, australian, canadian, and probably a few others i can't remember. been to the US, Mexico, China, Hongkong and Thailand.

sorry to say but the most allergy phobic people i've met are, well, americans.

the ones i've met that have food allergies the most are americans, germans and the spanish. (or at least say they are, i've read that some folks just say they're allergic to something but only claim that so they don't get to eat it coz they don't want it in their food)

i too have allergies, but it's not food related. antibiotics and dust.

not trying to ruffle any feathers here but these are just observations.

ok i'll shut up now. getting OT.

There is a kind of "culture of pride" around things like this in America these days. People adopt these things into their identity.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I'm sure there's plenty of exaggeration and misplaced anxiety, but the rise of food allergies is pretty well documented, and not entirely imaginary. I've got a friend (South Asian, btw, not anglo), whose daughter is fatally allergic to LOTS of stuff, tree nuts included. It's not imaginary -- I've seen her in the hospital. Of course, even 20 years ago, she wouldn't have lived a month, so she wouldn't have shown up on the allergy statistics at all. (And no, her parents don't expect to ever take her into a restaurant -- they do everything they can to deal with it themselves.)

If someone is paying me to cook, and it's easy to substitute out a different product, I'll do it. I don't think a commercial kitchen is a place to make a political stand about "hysteria", esp. when there are enough real cases, and it costs nothing to accommodate.